Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Error message

Views XML Backend: HTTP response: Service Unavailable. URI: http://search.fccinteractive.com/solr/classifieds/select/?q=pubToDomain:wctrib.com+AND+featured:1&fl=imageArray,datePosted,advertisement,classification,slug,ID,title&start=0&rows=5000&sort=slug%20asc
Advertisement
Gov. Tim Pawlenty, pictured during an address in St. Paul in this undated file photo, will today inform state agencies how he plans to cut their funding. Tribune fil e photo

Agencies who receive state money will find out if gov. plans to cut their funding, by how much

Email Sign up for Breaking News Alerts
news Willmar, 56201
West Central Tribune
(320) 235-6769 customer support
Willmar Minnesota 2208 Trott Ave. SW / P.O. Box 839 56201

ST. PAUL -- Gov. Tim Pawlenty today will tell those who receive state money how much he plans to cut from their budgets.

The Republican governor this afternoon will announce how he'll balance the state budget after he and DFL leaders failed to reach a budget deal before lawmakers went home for the year at the conclusion of last month's session.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Pawlenty and Commissioner Tom Hanson took on the task of making budget cuts themselves, with health and human services, aids to local government, higher education and many state agencies expected to take hits.

Pawlenty also plans to delay sending some state checks to schools until the next two-year budget.

However, Pawlenty's spokesman said, the governor still will be open to ideas because his cuts do not take place until July 1, when the next two-year, $31 billion budget begins.

"We are certainly open to suggestions," Brian Mc-Clung said.

So far, only about a dozen legislators have given Pawlenty their ideas for what to cut, despite the governor's specific request for them to contribute.

Among the most controversial issues has been Pawlenty's plan to cut aid to cities and other local governments.

A Pawlenty budget plan would have cut local government aid, money paid to cities, by what he says is no more than 5 percent of the total property-tax-plus-state-aid funding. But city leaders say that would come on top of earlier cuts, including ones last year that came just days before cities were expecting state checks.

The governor has said small cities would be spared cuts.

Public school education will not be affected, McClung said.

Most state agencies will experience cuts, although McClung said that public safety, veterans and military programs will not.

The cuts Pawlenty announces today likely will focus on the second year of the budget.

"He is looking to align these reductions in a way that provides the most possible flexibility for those who will be impacted, including cities, counties and others," McClung said. "When possible, the impact is lessened in the first year."

Besides giving those receiving state money more reaction time, delaying the cuts for a year allows legislators to make changes for the second year when they return to St. Paul next February.

Pawlenty signed all the major budget bills lawmakers passed this year, but he rejected a tax increase plan forwarded by the DFL, meaning the state's spending fell $2.7 billion short of revenue. He promises to pare spending to match state revenues.

He is invoking a law allowing him to "unallot" money already appropriated. The law was designed to give a governor a chance to balance the books near the end of a fiscal cycle when revenues fall below expectations. It rarely has been used.

A governor can cut spending, but cannot increase revenue. In any case, Pawlenty has steadfastly refused to accept any state tax increases.

He remains steadfast in his belief the public is behind his decision to unallot.

"The No. 1 response I get ... anecdotally is: 'Thank goodness we're not having a stupid special session, thank goodness we're not having a stupid (government) shutdown and thank you, governor, for taking the bull by the horns and getting this thing dealt with,'" he said soon after the legislative session ended on May 18.

Advertisement
Don Davis
Don Davis has been the Forum Communications Minnesota Capitol Bureau chief since 2001, covering state government and politics for two dozen newspapers in the state. Don also blogs at Capital Chatter on Areavoices.
Advertisement
Advertisement
randomness