Sections

Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement

Area counties included in Dayton’s emergency declaration

Email

WILLMAR – An emergency declaration signed today by Gov. Mark Dayton could bring federal dollars to west central Minnesota communities hit hard by storms last month.

Advertisement

The “peacetime emergency” declaration includes 26 counties, including Kandiyohi, Big Stone, Swift, Meeker and Pope.

From June 20-26 severe storms and flash flooding affected a large section of the state that caused issues with debris, damage to public infrastructure and utilities, according to the declaration.

Don Ericson, Kandiyohi County Emergency Management Director, said the most significant damage here was related to infrastructure associated with the Kandiyohi Power Cooperative, which experienced downed power lines and power outages as well as damage to their building near Spicer.

The county will also seek funds to off-set costs for cleaning up county parks following the storm.

Ericson said now that the declaration has been signed regional meetings will be held in the near future with “evaluators” from the Federal Emergency Management Agency to finalize damage costs and to determine the amount of federal funds that will be available.

Ericson said unless damage is extensive FEMA doesn’t usually provide funds for personal assistance.

The counties included in the executive order includes the counties of Aitkin, Benton, Big Stone, Carver, Douglas, Faribault, Fillmore, Freeborn, Hennepin, Houston, Kandiyohi, McLeod, Meeker, Mille Lacs, Pine, Pope, Renville, Ramsey, Sibley, Stearns, Stevens, Swift, Traverse, Wilkin, Winona, and Wright.

Advertisement
Carolyn Lange
A reporter for more than 30 years, Carolyn Lange covers county government and regional news with the West Central Tribune.
(320) 894-9750
Advertisement
Advertisement
randomness