Boys Tennis Roundup: NLS blanks Minnewaska to open Section 6A playoffs
NEW LONDON — No. 4-seed New London-Spicer swept No. 5 Minnewaska out of the Section 6A team playoffs Thursday as the Wildcats won each match in straight sets in a 7-0 victory.
The win sets up a semifinal duel with top-seeded Foley on Monday on the Wildcats’ home court. NLS hosts the semis (10 a.m. and noon) and championship match with Benson and St. Cloud Cathedral squaring off in the other semifinal.
The title match is slated to start at 2 p.m. on Monday.
The Wildcats allowed the Lakers to win more than four games in a set twice and each time NLS won the set in a tiebreaker: Ethan Chvala at 3-singles and Evan van Gulijk/Ely Rogers at 3-doubles.
Cody Treptau at 1-singles and Eli Nelson at 2-singles both posted a shutout in one of their sets for the Wildcats (5-12).
NLS 7, Minnewaska 0
(1) Cody Treptau, N, def Jake Pederson 6-4, 6-0 (2) Eli Nelson, N, def Carter LaMont 6-0, 6-2 (3) Ethan Chvala, N, def Evan Palmer 6-4, 7-6 (7-3) (4) Alex Meder, N, def Sam Peters 6-1, 6-1
(1) John Jacobson/Logan Eckhoff, N, def Austin Pauly/Joe Weaver 6-4, 6-1 (2) Chris Molenaar/Josh Proehl, N, def Cole Mercier/Collin Stumpf 6-4, 6-3 (3) Evan van Gulijk/Ely Rogers, N, def Matt Held/Zach Evans 6-4, 7-6 (7-1)
Benson 5, LPGE 2
Benson won two singles matches — Aaron Szczur at No. 2 and Eric Hoium at No. 4 — and Long Prairie-Grey Eagle forfeited three doubles matches in the opening round of the Section 6A playoffs.
Benson plays St. Cloud Cathedral, which defeated Litchfield 6-1, on Monday at New London in the semifinals.
(1) Laine Larson, L, def. Alberto Sainz-Rico 3-6 6-4 7-5 (2) Aaron Szczur, B, def. Trevor Bergmann 7-6 (8-6) 6-7 (5-7) 6-1 (3) Ryan Welters, L, def. Tyler Bergman 0-6 7-5 6-3 (4) Eric Hoium, B, def. Dan Bachmeier 6-4 6-3
(1) Bradley Berens/Brandon Gosson, B, won by forfeit (2) Chad Clark/Kyle Ruppert, B, won by forfeit (3) Nathan Habben/Dylan McNeill, B, won by forfeit
SC Cathedral 6, Litchfield 1
St. Cloud Cathedral ended Litchfield’s team season in the Section 6A quarterfinals, with the Dragons scoring their lone point from Josh Prahl 6-3, 6-3 in 1-singles.
(1) Josh Prahl, L, def Ryan Jameson 6-3, 6-3 (2) Nathan Stracke, S, def Mitch Evans 6-1, 6-0 (3) Alec Ferris, S, def Zach Kaiser 6-0, 6-2 (4) Paul Decker, S, def Matt Wedin 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
(1) Phil Ruegemer/Matt Bowe, S, def Jon Madsen/Andrew Fisher 6-0, 6-1 (2) Andrew Windschitl/Matt Zniewski, S, def Nick Lundin/Sam Dollerschell 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 (3) Eli Stark-Haws/David Reisdorf, S, def Jordan Carew/Jon Green 6-2, 6-3
Redwood Valley 5, YME 2
The Sting end the regular season 1-10 and will play at Montevideo on Monday in the Section 3A-North quarterfinals.
YME’s Mathew Virnig won at 4-singles and James DeJager/Ammon Bennett picked up a point a 1-doubles, both tight three-set matches.
(1) Tyler Hagen, R, def Brandon Repshere 6-2, 6-1 (2) Armando Davila, R, def Shane Nokleby 6-0, 6-3 (3) Max Russell, R, def Cody Fey 6-4, 6-1 (4) Mathew Virnig, Y, def Jaden Rassmussen 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
(1) James DeJager-Ammon Bennett, Y, def Cole Pettis/Sam Christianson 6-2, 4-6, 7-5 (2) Logan Dehncke/Nate Passo, R, def Noah Lusti/Cody Zimmer 6-1, 6-1 (3) Michael Diavila/Beau Nefburg, R, def Miles Jensen/Nick Schindele 6-0, 6-0
LQPV/DB 5, Milbank 4
Lac qui Parle Valley/Dawson-Boyd warmed up for its Monday section match with a victory Thursday in Milbank, S.D.
Jess Hansen, Trevor Sigdahl, Eli Weber and Keith Abraham won singles matches, which were played as single pro sets.
Abraham and Kain Matthies teamed up to win the deciding match at 3-singles.
LQPV/Dawson-Boyd opens the Section 3A quarterfinals at Pipestone at 4 p.m. Monday.
(1) Jess Hansen, L, def. Alex Cantina 10-1 (2) Trevor Sigdahl, L, def. Sam Jarman 10-8 (3) Eli Weber, L, def. Ryan Schreurs 10-7 (4) Ryker Reil, M, def. Hunter Olson 10-5 (5) Keith Abraham, L, def. Chris Loutsch 10-2 (6) Adam Thomas, M, def. Ryan Borstad 11-10 (10-4)
(1) Cantina/Jarman, M, def. Hansen/Weber 11-10 (10-7) (2) Schreurs/Reil, M, def. Olson/Sigdahl 10-8 (3) Abraham/Kain Matthies, L, def. Thomas/Loutsch 10-4