Boys Tennis Roundup: T-Hawks, LQPV/DB advance to Section 3A Final Four
MONTEVIDEO — A sweep in doubles and a near-sweep in singles propelled Montevideo past Yellow Medicine East 7-0 Monday in the quarterfinals of the Section 3A team tournament.
The No. 2-seeded Thunder Hawks (10-5) will now meet No. 3 Worthington in today’s semifinals at 1:30 p.m. in Redwood Falls. The day’s earlier semifinal pits No. 1 Luverne and No. 5 Lac qui Parle Valley/Dawson-Boyd, which upset No. 4 Pipestone on the road Monday 4-3.
The two semifinal winners will then meet at 3 p.m. in the championship match. Luverne is the four-time defending champion.
Martin Moore and Tristan Voorhees won a first-set tiebreaker 7-5 at 1-doubles before posting a shutout in the second set to help Montevideo sweep doubles.
In singles, Riley Emery lost a first-set tiebreaker 7-5 to Matthew Virnig before bouncing back to win 7-5, 6-1 at No. 4 for the Thunder Hawks, who lost just a combined six games in the first three singles slots.
Montevideo 7, YME 0
(1) Jesse Erickson, M, def Brandon Repsher 6-0, 6-2 (2) Jared Saue, M def Shane Nokleby 6-0, 6-1 (3) Taylor Landmark, M, def Cody Speh 6-2, 6-1 (4) Riley Emery, M, def Matthew Virnig 6-7 (5-7), 7-5, 6-1
(1) Martin Moore/Tristan Voorhees, M, def James DeJager/Ammon Bennett 7-6 (7-5), 6-0 (2) Ryan Neville/Connor Dann, M, def Noah Lusti/Cody Zimmer 6-2, 6-0 (3) Mitch Kwilinski/Donavon Albers, M, def Miles Jensen/Nick Schindele 6-3, 6-2
LQPV/DB 4, Pipestone 3
Eli Weber’s victory at 3-singles provided the winning point in Lac qui Parle Valley/Dawson-Boyd’s victory over Pipestone in a Section 3A quarterfinals match Monday in Marshall.
Weber rebounded from a set down to defeat Joe Morgan 3-6, 6-4, 6-4.
Jess Hansen and Hunter Olson also garnered singles points for LQPV/DB and the team of Conrad Matthies and Ryan Borstad won at 3-doubles.
LQPV/DB plays Luverne in the section semifinals at noon today at Redwood Valley High School.
(1) Jess Hansen, L, def. Trace Lueck 6-0 6-0 (2) Tyl Woelber, P, def. Trevor Sigdahl 6-4 6-2 (3) Eli Weber, L, def. Joe Morgan 3-6 6-3 6-4 (4) Hunter Olson, L, won by forfeit
(1) Jarod Scheibot/Nate Baatz, P, def. Keith Abraham/Kain Matthies 6-3 6-3 (2) Jared Carlson/Bill Smith, P, def. Dalton Kostad/Cody McKesson 7-5 6-2 (3) Conrad Matthies/Ryan Borstad, L, def. Elijah Everson/Alex Aberhamson 6-4 6-1
Luverne 7, MACCRAY 0
MACCRAY’s season came to an end against Luverne in the Section 3A quarterfinals on Monday.
(1) Jonny Vajgt, L, def. Skylar Garmin 6-0 6-0, (2) Andrew Jelken, L, def. Jordan Caskey 6-1 6-1 (3) Erik Wohnoutka, L, def. Jaeden Woltjer 6-0 6-0 (4) Jacob Jarchow, L, won by forfeit
(1) Blake Ziegler/Cory Stroeh, L, def. Connor Hagemeyer/Nathan Eisenmenger 6-0 6-2 (2) Hunter Robinson/Chris Jelken, L, def. Ben Barner/Chris Preuss 6-1 6-0 (3) Dalton Schoeneman/Toby Sengvongxay, L, def. Alex Spence/Levi Sparks 6-0 6-0