Dawson-Boyd student died of hypothermia, alcohol a factor
MADISON — The cause of a Dawson-Boyd student’s March 9 death after he fled an underage drinking party is hypothermia due to environmental exposure, authorities announced Thursday.
According to a new release from the Lac qui Parle County Sheriff’s Office, the coroner’s report also said alcohol consumption was a contributing factor in the death of Michael Chinedu Anyasike, 18, of Dawson.
He had been outdoors for approximately 12 hours after fleeing the party broken up by law enforcement around 12:30 a.m. that day. Anyasike’s parents reported him missing just after noon on March 9, and the body was discovered just after 2 p.m. about one mile from where he had fled, the Sheriff’s Office said Thursday.
Anyasike was pronounced dead after being transported to the Madison Hospital by ambulance.
The Sheriff’s Office previously reported that there were about 20 vehicles parked at the farm site where the party was held, and an unspecified number of youths were issued citations for underage consumption. Several young people fled.
Anyasike is survived by his parents, Dr. Michael and Irene Anyasike, and two younger brothers and a sister.