Dem candidate in Bachmann district halts campaign
ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Minnesota Democratic congressional candidate Jim Graves plans to halt his campaign to replace Republican Rep. Michele Bachmann in Congress just days after she ruled out a re-election run, according to his top aide.
Campaign manager Aaron Wells told The Associated Press that Graves will issue a statement later Friday explaining the decision. The online publication Minnpost.com first reported the decision on Friday, quoting Graves as saying the goal of unseating Bachmann was complete.
Graves is the hotel chain founder who narrowly lost to Bachmann in 2012. He had previously announced he would challenge the incumbent again next year. She said Wednesday that she wouldn't seek a fifth term in the 6th Congressional District in central Minnesota.
It is the most heavily Republican district in Minnesota. Several Republicans are weighing a run.