Eden Valley, Minn., home destroyed by fire Wednesday evening
EDEN VALLEY -- A rural Eden Valley home was destroyed by fire Wednesday evening, and an unattended portable heater is suspected as the cause of the blaze.
According to a news release from Meeker County Sheriff Jeff Norlin, a passerby reported the fire at the William Matteson residence, 38031 State Highway 22, around 10 p.m. The caller reported the flames were coming through the roof of the house.
Fire departments from Eden Valley, Watkins and Litchfield were called to extinguish the blaze.
No one was home at the time of the fire. The Red Cross was contacted to assist the family for a place to stay.
The blaze is under investigation by the State Fire Marshal and the Meeker County Sheriff's Office.