Editorial: EDC goes proactive in its goal setting
Some wise leadership stepped forward this week as the Kandiyohi County and City of Willmar Economic Development Commission developed its goals and work plan for 2014.
While there was no major change in directions, the EDC set forth goals clarifying how best to target the organization’s plans in 2014.
The EDC’s joint powers board and joint operations board developed consensus on these goals:
* Creating, recruiting, retaining and expanding businesses in Kandiyohi County.
* Promoting and positioning Willmar as a regional medical center.
* Increasing business development at the MinnWest Technology Campus.
* Fostering business growth in agriculture and renewable energy.
* Improving, maintaining and expanding the transportation infrastructure through increased collaboration.
Kudos to the board members who worked to develop and build this consensus through the four-hour planning session. They were able to focus on proactive positive agenda setting; instead of the redundant questioning of some more interested in a retaliation and bullying agenda.
It is refreshing to see enlighten leaders making sound and wise decisions for the betterment of the entire Kandiyohi County-Willmar community.