Weather Forecast


Minnesota man accused in 5-year-old girl's death indicted by grand jury

Fire burns home, children out safely

WILLMAR -- Three children were able to safely escape a house fire around 3 a.m. Friday at 1404 Seventh St. S.W.

According to Fire Chief Marv Calvin, the youngest of the children discovered the fire in the kitchen and woke the older siblings. All three got out of the home and went to a neighboring home to call 911 for assistance. Their parents were out shopping at the time and had brought the children home about an hour before the fire was discovered.

Firefighters arrived to extinguish the blaze, which was caused by electrical wiring. The home is a total loss, Calvin said. The family is receiving assistance from the county, Heartland Community Action and the Salvation Army.

Calvin reminds and encourages renters to check out renter's insurance, which may cover the loss of possessions in a fire. The family did not have such insurance.