Fire in Willmar destroys garage, contents
WILLMAR -- Fire destroyed a garage and its contents, including a work shop and two vehicles late Friday afternoon in Willmar.
The fire was reported around 4:30 p.m. at a detached garage at 920 Southeast Second Street. The garage is separated by approximately 5 to 10 feet from a home.
The homeowner had returned home and started a wood stove in the garage, according to Willmar Fire Chief Marv Calvin.
The man went into his home and about one-half hour later saw a large amount of smoke when he looked out a window. He attempted to squelch the blaze with snow but was unsuccessful and called for help.
The blaze quickly engulfed the garage, but fire fighters were successful in preventing its spread to the nearby house. The garage held a shop with equipment including an acetylene torch and gas for it.
Valuable time was lost in fighting the blaze since fire hydrants on the street were buried in snow, according to the chief. Responding Willmar Police and Ambulance squad members helped dig out the hydrants and consequently helped the fire fighters, noted the chief.
He urges all residents to take the time to dig out fire hydrants on their streets.