Girls tennis roundup: Willmar falls in 8AA South
SARTELL -- Ten Willmar seniors played their final team match on Saturday in the Cardinals' 5-2 loss to Monticello in the second round of the Section 8AA South Subsection tournament at the Fitness Evolution club.
The Cardinals' Hannah Hansen won at 4-singles and Willmar's 1-doubles team of Heather Horning and Kassy Linbo claimed the team's other point against the Magic.
The Cardinals, who finished the season 14-6, now move on to individual section play beginning Thursday.
The team's 1-singles player, Gabbie Bierbaum, is the subsection's No. 2 seed and 2-singles player Cayle Hovland also is in the field.
Horning and Linbo are the subsection's No. 4 seed and the team of Waverly Slette and Leah Ramon also qualified for the singles tournament.
The team will lose Bierbaum, Horning, Linbo, Slette, Ramon, Tayva Vollan, Megan Andreson, Rosie Molenaar, Amy Larson and Mallory Loge to graduation.
"They're a classy bunch of kids," said Cardinals' head coach Jim Anderson. "Those senior girls played together for quite awhile and they set high standards for future Cardinals teams. They're just a really good group of girls and they will be missed."
As expected, St. Cloud Tech won the section championship with a 7-0 victory over Bemidji. After eliminating Willmar, Monticello fell 7-0 to Bemidji and Tech defeated Brainerd 7-0 to set up the section final.
Monticello 5, Willmar 2
(1) Alex Revening, M, def. Gabbie Bierbaum 6-1 6-1 (2) Brooke Voltone, M, def. Cayle Hovland 6-3 6-4 (3) Grace Sawatzke, M, def. Bailey Hovland 6-1 6-3 (4) Hannah Hansen, W, def. Taylor Arthur 6-1 6-0
(1) Heather Horning/Kassy Linbo, W, def. Anne Dockendorf/Kendra Stoick 6-3 6-0 (2) Christine Lui/Miranda Anderson, M, def. Waverly Slette/Leah Ramon 7-5 1-6 10-7 (3) Maria Becker/Sydney Anthony, M, def. Tayva Vollan/Megan Andreson 7-6 (7-4) 6-4
West Central Conference Tournament
Minnewaska's Ellen Stensrud won the 1-singles championship at the West Central Conference Tournament on Saturday.
Stensrud downed Catherine Haugen of Montevideo 7-5 6-4 to claim the title.
Minnewaska's doubles team of Rachel Riley and MaKenna Hanson won the 1-doubles championship, and Montevideo's 2-doubles team of Froya Olson and Morgan Reidinger also won a title.
How Area Players Fared
(1) Ellen Stensrud, Mwska, 3-0 (champion); Darcey Aronson, Morris/CA, 0-2; Kelly Saunders, Benson, 1-2 (fourth place); Catherine Haugen, Montevideo, 2-1 (second place); Jordan Glad, YME, 0-2; Kylie Jahn, LQPV, 1-2 (sixth place)
(2) Amber Borstad, LQPV, 0-2; Jada Hoffman, Mwska, 2-1 (third place); Abbie Olson, MCA, 2-1 (fifth place); Sierra Frazier, Mont, 2-1 (second place); Danielle Clark, YME, 1-2 (sixth place); Bridget Auch, Ben., 0-2
(3) Kamryn Siedschlag, LQPV, 0-2; Kailey Maroney, Mont., 1-1 (tied fifth place); Maggie Buyck, Ben., 2-1 (third place); Hannah Freske, Mwska, 2-1 (second place); Rachel Christensen, YME, 0-2; Megan Wagner, MCA, 1-1 (tied fifth place)
(4) Sierra Koepp, LQPV, 0-2; Shelbey Marthaler, MCA, 1-1; Raquel Curriel, Ben., 1-2 (fourth place); Karissa LaMont, Mwska, 0-1; Christina Lipinski, Mont, 0-1; Leah Gluth, YME, 2-1 (second place)
(1) Anna Dvorak/Mary Savoy, LQPV, 0-2; Rose Reinert/Lyndsey Moe, Mont., 1-2 (sixth place); Melanie Reese/Kelsey Rajewsky, Ben.,1-2 (fourth place); Jordan Trotter/Britanna Raddatz, YME 2-1 (fifth place); Kjersa Anderson/Carly Gullickson, MCA, 0-2; Rachel Riley/MaKenna Hanson, Mwska, 3-0 (champions)
(2) Froya Olson/Morgan Reidinger, Mont., 3-0 (champions); Frank/Karissa Jahn, LQPV, 0-2; Kendra Dingman/Megan Vergin, Ben.,1-1 (tied fifth place); Allie Trudel/Anna Posch, YME, 2-1 (third place); Kaitlin Vogel/Kindra Cannon, MCA, 1-1 (tied fifth place); Annika Peterson/Sarah Freske, Mwska, 1-2 (fourth place)
(3) Katie Samuelson/Kellie Enderson, Ben., 0-2; Joelle Thorfinnson/Miranda Thoen, Mwska, 1-2 (fourth place); Keaunna Hammer/Sandy Bartels, YME, 1-1 (tied fifth place); Paige Jorgenson/Mikaela Erickson, Mont., 2-1 (second place) Elizabeth Schneider/Emily Moser, MCA 1-1 (tied fifth place); Molly Hacker/Courtney Hanson, LQPV, 0-2