Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Home destroyed by fire

Willmar firefighters retract the ladder on the city's ladder fire truck after fighting a house fire Thursday morning at 2208 23rd St. S.W. The fire was caused by an unattended candle and the home is considered a total loss, according to Fire Chief Marv Calvin. For video of the fire, visit www.wctrib.com Tribune photo by Gretchen Schlosser

WILLMAR -- A home in southwest Willmar was destroyed Thursday morning by a fire that started from an unattended candle, according to Fire Chief Marv Calvin.

Willmar Fire Department was dispatched around 11:20 a.m. Thursday to 2208 23rd St. S.W. and firefighters were informed before they reached the home that it was fully involved with fire.

The crews used the city's ladder truck to extinguish the blaze. An investigation into the cause led to an unattended candle left on a bedside stand, Calvin said.

No one was at home at the time. No one was injured. The family will stay with relatives tonight and the home is insured, he added.

-- Gretchen Schlosser

Advertisement
randomness