Iowa farmer dies after ammonia leaks
PILOT MOUND, Iowa (AP) -- A 74-year-old farmer has died after anhydrous ammonia leaked from a tank in central Iowa.
Authorities say a hose broke, allowing the fertilizer out of the tank on Saturday morning. The accident occurred on the east side of Pilot Mound in northwestern Boone County.
Richard Shaw, of Ogden, was pronounced dead at the scene. His 54-year-old son, Michael Shaw, was taken to a Des Moines hospital.
A sheriff's deputy, two paramedics and another rescuer have been treated for exposure.
Anhydrous ammonia can damage skin, eyes and lungs.