Major work is part of 22 construction projects in west central Minnesota
WILLMAR — There are 22 state highway construction projects scheduled to take place this summer in the Minnesota Department of Transportation’s District 8 region, which includes 12 counties in west central and south central Minnesota.
The total cost is almost $42 million.
Many of the projects are of the “preserve and maintain” nature, including applying sealcoats and overlays.
A major reconstruction project will take place in Cosmos where a mile-long stretch on state Highway 4 will be torn up and rebuilt.
The project includes upgrading municipal utilities, including water, sanitary sewer and storm sewer.
“It’s a full reconstruction,” said Paul Rasmussen, MnDOT engineer at the Willmar office. “They’re difficult projects to do.”
The project, which will be completed in three sections, will cost $4.48 million
Work will begin on the north side of state Highway 7. When the road is completed to the point where the gravel base is installed and opened for local traffic, then crews will shift the project to the most southern end, said Rasmussen.
The final three-block section where the city office is located will be done last.
MnDOT intends to decrease the width of the street in that section and include grass and sidewalks on one side of the road.
State Highway 7 will not be closed during any part of the Cosmos project, said Rasmussen but there will be detours around Highway 4.
Rasmussen said work is scheduled to begin in mid-April but with the lingering snow, that schedule may be pushed back.
This time last year crews were pouring concrete on the state Highway 23 project by Paynesville, he said.
Other projects in the district include:
- Mill and overlay on a 10-mile stretch of U.S. Highway 71 from Willmar to state Highway 7 that will cost $3.8 million;
- A $3.24 million project on state Highway 15 in Hutchinson that includes mill and overlay of a 10-mile stretch of highway;
- Five-mile mill and overlay on U.S. Highway 12 in Darwin that will cost $2.09 million;
- Mill and overlay on a 15-mile section of Highway 7 from Milan to Montevideo that will cost $2.3 million
- Mill and overlay on a five-mile stretch of U.S. Highway 212 near Danube that will cost $1.9 million
For a complete list of the MnDOT projects scheduled for this year go to: www.mndot.gov/construction.