Montevideo, Minn., man to serve 27 months in stabbing
MONTEVIDEO -- A Montevideo man has begun serving a prison sentence of 27 months for thrusting a knife into the chest of a man during an argument.
David Medellin Jr., who will turn 19 this month, was sentenced last week in District Court in Montevideo on the charge of assault in the second degree -- causing substantial bodily harm, according to Chippewa County Attorney David Gilbertson.
The defendant was given credit for 68 days served in jail.
Medellin is to serve the sentence at the Minnesota Correctional Facility in St. Cloud.
He had pleaded guilty to the charge April 29. A charge of first-degree assault was dismissed in a plea agreement.
Medellin stabbed a 21-year-old man outside a residence in the early morning hours of April 6 in the 200 block of South Seventh Street in Montevideo, according to the charges against him.
The victim had gotten into an argument with people at a party at the residence, and left when asked to do so. He returned a short while later asking for a coat and CDs that he had left behind. He was told they could not be found.
The man shared some words with the people in the house and began walking away. Medellin Jr. approached him outside the residence.
The man told police that Medellin Jr. pulled a knife and that he said to the defendant: "What are you going to do, (expletive) stab me?''
Medellin Jr. held a knife in his right hand and stabbed the man in the left side of the upper chest, the complaint alleges.
The man fell down, got up and punched the defendant before leaving and seeking medical help.
He underwent emergency surgery for a punctured lung.
During questioning, Medellin told police that he got scared while fighting the victim because the victim had reached into his pocket. He thought the man had a gun or knife, although he did not see either. "It was just something that never should have happened,'' Medellin is quoted in the complaint as telling an investigating officer.