In other action ...
In other action the board:
- Directed the highway engineer to gather data for future discussion on implementing a tax on gravel mined within the county.
- Accepted a completed environmental assessment worksheet for a proposed gravel pit in Lake Andrew Township. Because the two parcels in the pit have acreage that's greater than 40 acres, an environmental review is required by state law before a conditional use permit can be requested.
- Approved a resolution to apply for a $4.6 million low-interest loan from the Minnesota Public Facilities Authority for construction of a sanitary sewer collection system from Lake Florida to the Green Lake Sanitary Sewer and Water District facility near Spicer. If approved, the loan would come from the water pollution control revolving fund. The loan would cover the entire project cost.
- Approved a resolution requesting that the Legislature change a law that requires local governments to pay state sales tax. Schools don't have to pay sales tax, but cities and counties do. They also approved a resolution that, if approved by the Legislature, would allow counties to publish financial statements on their Web sites rather than in the official newspaper. In 2004, the county paid $14,988.14 to publish the financial statements.
- Approved a resolution allocating $256,191 in state funds to the county's 24 townships for road projects.
- Agreed to offer long-term care insurance to county employees.