Sections

Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement
Gov. Tim Pawlenty.

Pawlenty, lawmakers eye 1-day special session for flood funding

Email News Alerts
news Willmar, 56201
Willmar Minnesota 2208 Trott Ave. SW / P.O. Box 839 56201

ST. PAUL -- Floodwaters continue to rise in southern Minnesota communities as state policymakers work on plans to fund flood relief.

Federal emergency personnel arrived here Monday to determine how much money Washington will send, with state leaders preparing to pick up remaining costs.

Advertisement
Advertisement

"The various layers of government need to stand together," Gov. Tim Pawlenty said in announcing he will call a one-day legislative session between Oct. 7 and 12.

This week's Federal Emergency Management Agency study of the flooded areas will result in a damage estimate. If it exceeds $6.4 million, as state officials expect, Pawlenty will ask President Obama to issue a presidential disaster declaration to authorize federal spending.

The special session will follow the initial federal damage assessment to authorize spending to repair damage. Much of the early money will go to repairs roads and water and sewer systems.

Even if Obama declares an emergency, federal money for individuals affected by the floods still may not flow into Minnesota. And it will be harvest time or later before it is known if famers will receive federal aid.

Pawlenty has declared the following Minnesota counties disaster areas: Blue Earth, Brown, Carver, Chippewa, Cottonwood, Dakota, Dodge, Faribault, Fillmore, Freeborn, Goodhue, Houston, Jackson, Lac Qui Parle, Le Sueur, Lincoln, Lyon, Martin, Mower, Murray, Nicollet, Nobles, Olmsted, Pipestone, Ramsey, Rice, Rock, Scott, Sibley, Steele, Wabasha, Waseca, Watonwan, Winona and Yellow Medicine.

The state Executive Council, composed of Minnesota's statewide elected officials, on Monday approved extending Pawlenty's weeklong emergency declaration for 30 more days, giving state agencies authority to share manpower and equipment with affected communities.

Pawlenty said the state is expected to have $235 million available by the end of the budget cycle next June 30, and any state flood costs should be less than that.

While the governor called flooding "a major challenge for southern Minnesota," he had no estimate of damages and officials would not say how damage compares to other recent Minnesota floods.

"These communities will be rebuilt," Pawlenty promised.

Part of the reason state officials had few answers for what eventually will be needed is that rivers continue to rise in some places around the Twin Cities and they do not know how much damage will occur.

Up to a foot of rain caused rapid river rises last week, and water continues to flow downriver. Some roads are starting to reopen, but many remain closed.

Much remains to be decided, such as how much state cash flood efforts will need and how much money can be borrowed.

Pawlenty and House Speaker Margaret Anderson Kelliher, DFL-Minneapolis, both said, "We stand united."

Legislative leaders and Pawlenty emerged from the governor's office Monday to say they agreed to the need for a special session and to emphasize the state will provide help as it has in past disasters.

"Once again tragedy has struck southern Minnesota," said Senate Minority Leader Dave Senjem, R-Rochester.

Three years ago, floods devastated many southeast Minnesota communities. This year's floods stretch across the southern part of the state.

The 2007 flood resulted in a brief special session that sent $150 million to southeast areas.

The governor said that he did not call a special session to help communities such as Wadena recover from June tornadoes because leaders there felt they could wait until the regular legislation session begins in January.

For more information:

- State Emergency Operations Center, www.eoc.state.mn.us

- Minnesota road information, www.511mn.org

- National Weather Service, www.crh.noaa.gov/mpx

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
randomness