U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar makes a point Monday, while Jeff Almer watches, during a discussion about food-borne illnesses. Almer's mother died after eating contaminated peanut butter. Tribune photo by Don Davis
Sons of salmonella victims fight for safer food
ST. PAUL -- Jeff Almer wants his mother's death to mean something.
Shirley Almer of Perham died Dec. 21 from salmonella poisoning blamed on contaminated peanut butter. It was the first of at least nine U.S. deaths, including three in Minnesota, attributed to the deadly organism from a Georgia peanut butter factory.
Get the full story
Subscribe or Log In
Are you a newspaper subscriber but you don't have a Digital Access account yet? Activate your account.
You will need your subscription account number and phone number. Not sure if you have an account? Email us or call 320-214-4364 and we can help you.