Sections

Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement

Sterger's attorney says NFL investigation of Favre complete

Email Sign up for Breaking News Alerts
sports Willmar,Minnesota 56201 http://www.wctrib.com/sites/all/themes/wctrib_theme/images/social_default_image.png
West Central Tribune
(320) 235-6769 customer support
Sterger's attorney says NFL investigation of Favre complete
Willmar Minnesota 2208 Trott Ave. SW / P.O. Box 839 56201

EDEN PRAIRIE -- The NFL has wrapped up its investigation into allegations that Brett Favre sent inappropriate phone messages and photos to a Jets game hostess two years ago, her attorney said Wednesday.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Attorney Joseph Conway said Joe Hummel, the director of investigative services for the NFL's security department, told him the case has now been sent to Commissioner Roger Goodell and the league's lawyers for review.

"He told me it's upstairs in the commissioner's office and the lawyers are going over it," said Conway, the lawyer for Jenn Sterger. "I have not been told a timetable as when to expect something and I have not been told what the findings will be."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello declined to discuss details of the case and said "we're not ruling out this week. We're not ruling out next week" in terms of a decision.

Sterger allegedly received the inappropriate messages and photos two years ago when she and the quarterback both worked for the Jets. Favre has declined to address the allegations or the investigation.

Favre spent one season with the Jets in 2008 before joining the Minnesota Vikings last year. The 41-year-old quarterback has said that this will be his last season in the NFL, though he has retired before only to return soon after. Conway reiterated Sterger's desire for the league to announce the findings -- and any potential penalties while the NFL still has jurisdiction over him -- before the end of the season.

The NFL first announced the investigation in October, just before the Vikings played the Jets.

Sterger did not meet with NFL officials to discuss the case and turn over alleged evidence until Nov. 11, but Conway said it would be unfair to say that was the reason why the investigation has taken so long.

"I think we did things very diligently," Conway said. "We went in just about a month ago. We were kind of under the expectation that that meeting was one of the last things that needed to be done. I'd be disappointed if anybody said that the reason this took so long is because Jenn did not come in right away."

The Sports Business Journal first reported the development.

Advertisement
news@wctrib.com
Advertisement
Advertisement
randomness