Tips on business volunteer programs
According to the Minnesota Council on Foundations, volunteerism is a key component of many companies' philanthropic and community affairs programs, including giving dollars to charity and giving of time.
Nonprofit and community groups and organizations are in great need of capable, committed volunteers, and your volunteer contributions can leverage the financial contributions you make to an organization.
Employee volunteerism can be a triple win: helping people in the community while giving employees a chance to shine and benefiting the company in numerous ways.
Minnesota companies utilize a growing number of methods to support, encourage, coordinate and facilitate the volunteer efforts of their employees, including:
- Organizing company volunteer events, such as a paint-a-thon or a food drive.
- Helping employees find volunteer opportunities.
- Providing contributions to nonprofits where employees volunteer.
- Allowing release time for volunteering during working hours.
- Providing staff to manage the company’s volunteer efforts.
Source: Minnesota Council on Foundations