Willmar family escapes burning mobile home they recently bought
WILLMAR -- A family of three escaped a fire early Sunday morning that destroyed their mobile home.
Willmar Fire Chief Marv Calvin said the occupants had just bought the mobile home at Regency Estates West and moved in three days ago. They were identified in an initial complaint report as Jason Rodriguez, 19, Ana Silva, 18, and Jason A. Rodriguez, 5 months.
Calvin said The Salvation Army was working with them to find shelter. Firefighters were called at 4:03 a.m. Sunday and were on the scene until 6:35 a.m. The fire began behind the stove. At 8:18 a.m., the fire department was called again to extinguish two hot spots.
The Willmar Fire Department also responded to other calls over the weekend, including a call to the Kandiyohi County Sanitary Landfill at 8:25 a.m. Friday and had recalls Saturday morning and Sunday morning, where fire was smoldering in buried garbage.
At about 1 a.m. Saturday, the fire department was called to the Jody Norstegard home at 217 Havana St., where a malfunctioning dishwasher had filled the house with smoke but no fire. Firefighters were on the scene for about an hour removing smoke from the house.
About six hours later, Willmar firefighters were called with other departments to assist with a fire at Bushmills Ethanol plant near Atwater.
At 9:53 a.m. Sunday, Willmar firefighters were called to Lakeview Apartments where a cooking fire filled an apartment with smoke. The department was on the scene for about 30 minutes, removing smoke.
From Friday morning to Sunday afternoon, said Calvin, "it's been extremely busy, and Willmar firefighters have been on calls just about all weekend. There were only a few hours that they weren't on calls. It's been a crazy weekend.''