Tennis Girls: LQPV/DB clinches at least a share of WC South title
MADISON -- The Lac qui Parle Valley/Dawson-Boyd girls tennis team wrapped up no less than a share of the West Central South Conference title on Tuesday with a 6-1 win over visiting Morris Area.
The team can take the title outright with a victory over Yellow Medicine East when the teams meet in Granite Falls at 4 p.m. Thursday.
LQPV/DB improved to 4-0 in the WCS and 17-0 overall.
Madeline Gail beat Courtney Tiegs at 1-singles 6-1, 6-1.
LQPV/DB, Morris 1
(1) Madeline Gail, LQPV, def Courtney Tiegs 6-1, 6-1 (2) Melanie Gail, LQPV, def Rachel Sperr 6-0, 6-1 (3) Jenna Amundson, LQPV, def Kayla Grasshoff 6-0, 6-0 (4) Melanie Knutson, LQPV, def Emily Ehlers 6-1,6-1
(1) Ashley Dolen-Dani Bormann, Mor, def Whitney Hansen-Greta Vick 6-2, 7-5 (2) Katie Brown-Kate Bredeck, LQPV, def Jessica Schatzke-Britany Greenwaldt 6-2 6-0 (3) Meghan Henrich-Mollie Bredeck, LQPV, def Nicole Sax -Kayla Mullins 6-0, 6-0
YME 7, Montevideo 0
The Sting took every point in straight sets at the courts in Granite Falls. Yellow Medicine East (2-1, 7-6) hosts Lac qui Parle Valley/Dawson-Boyd (4-0, 17-0) at 4:30 on Thursday. An East victory would sustain hope of a share of the West Central South title.
(1) Melissa Rasmusson, YME, def Candice Lipinski 6-1, 6-0 (2) Carly Barfber, YME, def Trisha Baldwin, 6-1, 6-2 (3) Jessica Dhoore, YME, def Amanda Lipinski 6-1, 6-0 (4) Tiffany Miller, YME, def Kelly Rheingans 6-0 6-1
(1) Jess Pederson-Katelyn Dubbelde, YME, def Tina Flaherty-Jenny Fitcher 6-2, 6-3 (2) Haley Bennett-Rachel Crowley, YME, def Amanda Oellien-Kim Danielson 6-0, 6-1 (3) Meghan Bredeson-Cheri Fjermestad, YME, def Kate Haugen-Renee Young 6-2, 6-3
West Central North NL-Spicer 4, SC Cathedral 3
Alyssa Wachter and Courtney Edwards picked up points at singles to help New London-Spicer defeat St. Cloud Cathedral 4-3 in a West Central North Conference tennis match Tuesday.
Lindsay Van Ort-Jennesa Johnson and Wendy Toops-Becca Emery won points at doubles.
Kelly Freese, St. Cloud Cathedral's 2004 state qualifier, outhit Paula Beckermann at 1-singles, 6-2, 6-1.
The Wildcats (3-1, 6-2 host Long Prairie-Grey Eagle on Thursday in another West Central North match.
(1) Kelly Freese, SCC, def Paula Beckermann 6-2, 6-1 (2) Alyssa Wachter, NLS, def Alicia Otto 6-1, 6-4 (3) Michaela Clinton, SCC, def Megan Seipel 6-4, 6-4 (4) Courtney Edwards, NLS, def Aubrey Barnaby 6-2, 6-4
(1) Matia Twedt-Lisa Scheerel, SCC, def Angie Wiegmann-Jenna Overman 6-3, 6-4 (2) Lindsay Van Ort-Jennesa Johnson, NLS, def Kathryn Baron-Susan Meinz 6-1, 6-2 (3) Wendy Toops-Becca Emery, NLS, def Caroline Stringer-Bridget Harguth 6-1, 6-1