Weather Forecast


Funding for government lapses as short-term spending bill stalls in the Senate

Man burned, garage destroyed in fire

CANBY -- A man was burned and a garage destroyed in a fire Monday evening in rural Canby.

According to Yellow Medicine County Sheriff Bill Flaten, county dispatch received a 911 call around 5:40 p.m. on a garage fire at the home of David Berckes, 2731 190th Street.

David Stephenson suffered burns on his arm and was transported to Sanford Hospital in Canby and on to the Hennepin County Medical Center burn unit.

Berckes was not injured. The fire started when a trouble lamp fell and broke, starting a pool of gasoline on fire. The garage was destroyed and the attached home sustained smoke and water damage.

Agencies responding to the scene included Canby Fire Department, Sanford Ambulance Service, Gary, S.D., Fire Department, Madison Fire Department, Yellow Medicine County Sheriffs Office and Lac qui Parle Sheriff's Office.