Weather Forecast


Bail set at $500K for suspect in murder

WILLMAR -- Unconditional bail was set at $500,000 Friday for the 18-year-old Willmar teen who is now charged as an adult for the murder of Adam Kenneth Milton.

Miles David Edinburgh appeared in county jail-issued clothing in Kandiyohi County District Court before Judge Michael J. Thompson, who did not set conditional bail.

Edinburgh was certified as an adult earlier this week and faces one felony charge of second-degree murder. He was 17 at the time of the stabbing of the 21-year-old Ridgewater College student and football player. Milton suffered two stab wounds to the chest during a scuffle and died after he was taken to Rice Memorial Hospital.

First Assistant County Attorney Connie Crowell, who is prosecuting the case, argued for a $1 million bail. "It is our contention that extremely high bail should be placed on the defendant," she argued, citing Edinburgh's "progressive and continuous" escalation of crimes. "The defendant poses a significant public safety risk."

Edinburgh, who was appointed a public defender at the hearing, said he wanted to go home and suggested house arrest. "I have a son to take care of, a family to care for," he said. "I'd love to go home if that's possible."

The teenager had been housed at Prairie Lakes juvenile detention center since the July 20 incident. He was transferred to the Kandiyohi County Jail on Thursday, Crowell said.

According to the complaint, police were called around 12:50 a.m. July 20 to the Evergreen Ridge Apartment complex, along the 1300 block of 24th Street Northwest. Officers found a group of people around Milton, began first aid and called for an ambulance. Another man pointed out two stab wounds on Milton's chest and assisted with the first aid administration. He was transported to Rice Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 1:44 a.m.

Police found Edinburgh hiding under a car in a driveway along the 2700 block of 12th Avenue Northwest. He was ordered out at gunpoint and arrested.

A group of men told officers they were at an apartment, heard a knock at the door and opened it to find three men. They told the group to leave, but one of them, later identified as Edinburgh, hung around a vehicle in the parking lot. The men told the teen to leave, and punches and racial slurs were exchanged. Edinburgh then fled, with Milton in pursuit.

Milton and Edinburgh were "scrapping," when Milton fell to the ground. A witness told police Milton said "he poked me with something" before he saw the blood and called police.

Investigators combed the area and found shoes, believed to be Edinburgh's, and a cell phone in a nearby backyard. Officers located a brushed stainless steel knife with a wood grip protruding from the ground near a group of trees around 8 a.m.

Edinburgh's next appearance is Oct. 20.