Weather Forecast


District Court, Kandiyohi County, Oct. 21

n Juan Carlos Carbajal Aviles, 27, of Willmar, was arraigned Monday on four felony charges of falsely impersonating another and aggravated forgery

Unconditional bail was set at $50,000 and conditional bail at $25,000. His next appearance is Nov. 3.

Carbajal Aviles is also known as Jesse Lara. He also faces two gross misdemeanor and one misdemeanor charge for giving a false name to a court official and peace officer.

According to the complaint, the Willmar police department received information on Sept. 25 that Carbajal Aviles was using the false identity of Lara. The investigation revealed that photos in local databases matched and that he was charged in Kandiyohi County District Court and appeared under the false name in April 2007.

The investigation also revealed that he had applied for work at Jennie-O Turkey Store in May 2002 and signed employment documents and retirement savings beneficiary documents in the false name.

Two officers, who were dispatched to a home where Carbajal Aviles lived on Sept. 14 and Oct. 3, positively identified him in photo lineups.

- Aweys Hassan Yussuf, 33, of Willmar, was arraigned Monday on felony second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon and terrorist threats for a weekend domestic incident. He also faces misdemeanor charges of domestic assault.

Unconditional bail was set at $75,000. Conditional bail was set at $35,000, provided he have no contact with the victim, be excluded from her residence, comply with court orders for protection and possess no firearms or knives sharper than a butter knife. His next appearance is Nov. 3.

According to the complaint, a Willmar police officer was dispatched around 11:10 p.m. Friday to an apartment building on the city's southwest side for a domestic.

A woman there had a cut on her wrist, between 1½ to 2 inches long that was bleeding. A man, Yussuf, had also called dispatch claiming that he had been cut by the woman and that he had arrived at Rice Memorial Hospital.

The woman said Yussuf was going to go to work but demanded intimate relations with her before he left. They argued, he got a knife from the kitchen, threatened her and cut her with the knife. She said he cut himself badly on the arm with the same knife.

Officers found the knife in the kitchen and went to the hospital to interview Yussuf. He said he broke her cell phone so she wouldn't talk with other men while he was at work, said she got the knife and stabbed him and claimed he didn't know how she got cut.

The woman reported to law enforcement the next day several more injuries and said there had been a history of domestic abuse in their relationship, but that she hadn't reported it because she was afraid for her safety.