Weather Forecast


Willmar woman charged with assault for thwacking another woman in the head with a Coca-Cola bottle

WILLMAR -- A 24-year-old Willmar woman has been charged with second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon for allegedly hitting another woman over the head with a Coca-Cola bottle while they were arguing in a downtown apartment.

Asha Ali Sanweyne also faces a misdemeanor charge of fifth-degree assault in Kandiyohi County District Court. Unconditional bail was set at $25,000 and conditional bail at $5,000.

Her next court appearance is Monday.

According to the complaint, Willmar police were called around 6:30 p.m. Dec. 3 to the 300 block of Fourth Street Southwest. Officers arrived to find a woman standing on the sidewalk, screaming and bleeding heavily from a wound to her head. She was surrounded by a crowd of people.

The woman was taken by ambulance to Rice Memorial Hospital.

At the emergency room, medical personnel found two puncture wounds on her head and a 1-inch laceration just above her eye. She also had puncture wounds on her hand and abdomen and a 2-inch cut on her leg.

The woman said she had gone to Sanweyne's apartment to talk and that Sayweyne had hit her on the head with the bottle about five times, breaking it with the first blow. A friend confirmed the story, but said she hadn't actually seen the incident.

Officers responding to the apartment found scattered pieces of a bottle. Sayweyne said the woman came to talk with her, wouldn't leave when she asked and then choked her with her head covering. She said she hit the woman with a crutch and then with the bottle, but only once. Police officers examined her and found no signs of injury to her face or neck.

During their conversations with police, both women mentioned discussing a stabbing incident that had happened a week before. When she was arrested, Sanweyne claimed it was the other woman's husband that had stabbed her in the leg and that he had tried to kill her. Sanweyne claimed the woman had threatened to kill her if she told police it was her husband who stabbed her.