Weather Forecast


Edinburgh adult murder case stayed pending appeal of adult certification, judge also sets conditional bail at $50K cash

WILLMAR -- District Judge Jon Stafsholt has ordered that the adult criminal proceedings against Miles David Edinburgh, 18, of Willmar, be stayed pending the final decision on the appeal of his adult certification.

Edinburgh was certified as an adult in October and was charged with one felony count of second-degree murder for the July 20 death of Adam Kenneth Milton. Edinburgh was 17 at the time of the stabbing of the 21-year-old Ridgewater College student and football player. Milton suffered two stab wounds to the chest during a scuffle and died after he was taken to Rice Memorial Hospital.

Also in the Dec. 11 order, Stafsholt ordered that unconditional bail remain at $500,000 for Edinburgh, who is in the Kandiyohi County Jail. Alternatively, the judge allowed conditional release for $50,000 cash only. Conditions include not leaving the state, obeying laws, keeping in contact with his attorney and appearing for hearings.

The appeal of the adult certification, also ordered by Stafsholt, is standard and expected in the case, according to County Attorney Boyd Beccue. The decision, made by the State Court of Appeals, has no set timeline, he added. Attorneys in the case must exchange briefs before the appeals court proceeds with a decision.

Edinburgh was charged after Willmar police were called around 12:50 a.m. July 20 to the Evergreen Ridge Apartment complex, along the 1300 block of 24th Street North- west.

Officers found a group of people ar-ound Milton, began first aid and called for an ambulance. Another man pointed out two stab wounds on Milton's chest and assisted with the first aid administration. Milton was transported to Rice Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 1:44 a.m.

Police found Edinburgh hiding under a car in a driveway along the 2700 block of 12th Avenue Northwest. He was ordered out at gunpoint and arrested.

A group of men told officers they were at an apartment, heard a knock at the door and opened it to find three men. They told the group to leave, but one of them, later identified as Edinburgh, hung around a vehicle in the parking lot. The men told the teen to leave, and punches and racial slurs were exchanged. Edinburgh then fled, with Milton in pursuit.

Milton and Edinburgh were "scrapping," when Milton fell to the ground. A witness told police Milton said "he poked me with something" before he saw the blood and called police.

Investigators combed the area and found shoes, believed to be Edinburgh's, and a cell phone in a nearby backyard. Officers located a brushed stainless steel knife with a wood grip protruding from the ground near a group of trees around 8 a.m.