Weather Forecast


Teen sent to Prairie Lakes and givens probation for graffiti spate, also ordered to pay $8,000 in restitution

WILLMAR -- An 18-year-old Willmar teenager was ordered committed to the Prairie Lakes Detention Center secure transition program, probation until his 21st birthday and 40 hours of community service for October graffiti spates in downtown Willmar and on homes and businesses along the city's northeast side.

As part of his extended juvenile jurisdiction sentence, Scott Riley Olson was also ordered to pay $8,204 in restitution to businesses and homeowners whose property was damaged in the Oct. 18 and 29 incidents. Under extended juvenile jurisdiction, Olson received both a juvenile sentence and a stayed adult sentence, of one year and one day in prison, which could be enacted if he fails to comply with the juvenile sentence. The sentences were handed down Wednesday in Kandiyohi County District Court by Judge Michael J. Thompson.

Olson is jointly responsible for the $2,247 of the restitution with Albert Martin Navarro, 16, of Willmar, who also faces charges in the Oct. 18 incident. Navarro has pleaded not guilty and his next court date is Feb. 18. Olson is jointly responsible for $5,957 of the restitution with Terrance Jonathan Savoy, 19, of Willmar, and Phillip John Konsor, 18, Willmar. Savoy makes his next court appearance on Jan. 20 or Konsor on Feb. 12.

Olson's sentence was handed down on three felony charges, for property damage and burglary. Another set of charges, including burglary, trespassing and underage consumption, were dismissed as part of a plea agreement.

The charges from Oct. 18 were filed after Willmar police received numerous reports of graffiti on garages, buildings, vehicles and apartment buildings starting on Oct. 19. The reports were of ISI graffiti from the northeast side, along with homes, a church and businesses scattered at other locations in the city. One of the reports included that someone had entered a garage and dumped gallons of paint on a vehicle, causing $670 in damage.

The same day, officers located Olson and Navarro and questioned them about the graffiti. Navarro had paint, in the same colors as the graffiti, on his hands. He claimed to not know how it got on his hands. He said he was with Olson the night before, but retracted his statement later.

Navarro later informed the high school resource officer that he was involved in the graffiti and assisted with identifying the damage. He also said the pair had entered three garages, stolen items and drank rum straight from the bottle while spraying the damage.

The officer also interviewed Olson, who said he was too drunk and too high to remember all the locations that were damaged. He admitted that whatever Navarro told the officer was true. The officer later obtained writings at the high school that were known to be created by Olson. Many matched the graffiti found by police on Oct. 19.

The charges from Oct. 29 were filed after two Willmar police officers were on patrol around 11 p.m. Oct. 28. They observed new graffiti with markings of the ISI gang.

The officers later returned to the First Street bridge and found fresh graffiti with ISI markings along and underneath the bridge and on the bridge pillars.

The officers continued on patrol and observed graffiti on businesses in the downtown area, on an apartment building, on the city office building, a storage building and on a building along the 500 block of Benson Avenue Southeast. In each case there was ISI graffiti painted over graffiti painted previously by the In Town Taggers gang.

An officer later met with a downtown business representative to review surveillance footage of the bridge. The footage showed two males exiting a vehicle and painting on the bridge.

Officers identified one of the men as Savoy. The second man was identified as Olson.

Konsor allegedly admitted he, Savoy and Olson were driving around spray-painting graffiti in downtown. Savoy claimed he didn't know what the officer was talking about when questioned.