Weather Forecast


Records, March 3, 2009


WILLMAR -- An assault was reported around 2:30 p.m. Sunday at Cash Wise Foods. Store security reported they had attempted to stop a male and a female who were suspected of shoplifting and that they were assaulted and the couple fled.

Property damage

WILLMAR -- A smashed window on a vehicle was reported around 12:40 a.m. Monday along the 1500 block of 15th Street Southeast. The caller also reported a man running through the parking lot.

District Court

Kandiyohi County

* Roberto Jesus Medina, 27, of Willmar, made his first appearance Monday on four felony charges of assault, burglary, domestic assault and terroristic threats for allegedly breaking into a woman's apartment, beating her and threatening her life in October.

Unconditional bail was set at $150,000 with conditional release at $75,000. His next appearance is March 9. Medina also faces two misdemeanor charges of fifth-degree assault.

According to the complaint, Willmar police were called around 9:15 p.m. Oct. 19 to an apartment on the city's southwest side. A woman there reported that Medina, an ex-boyfriend, had forced his way into her apartment, beaten her for a hour, threatened to kill her, broke her cell phone, took the batteries out of a cordless phone and chased her when she managed to escape out of a bedroom window. There were two small children in the home at the time. She said Medina was upset that she had a new boyfriend.

* Roberto Ruiz, 59, of Willmar, made his first appearance Monday on a felony charge of fourth-degree assault of a peace officer for allegedly assaulting two Willmar police officers who were attempting to bring him to a detoxification facility.

Unconditional bail was set at $30,000 and conditional bail at $1,000 cash. His next appearance is March 16. He also faces a gross misdemeanor charge for obstructing the legal process and a misdemeanor for disorderly conduct.

According to the complaint, around 2:45 p.m. Saturday, a woman reported that Ruiz and another woman were at her home and very intoxicated and that she wanted them removed. The officers went to the home, where Ruiz answered the door, appeared to be intoxicated and refused to cooperate with the officers. The officers were attempting to handcuff Ruiz when a scuffle broke out, one of the officers fell backward on the home's icy driveway and Ruiz landed on top of him. The other officer observed Ruiz attempt to go for the fallen officer's gun. The officer deployed his stun gun and the struggle ended with Ruiz in handcuffs.

* Russell Wayne Milner, 43, was sentenced to 41 months in prison and a $1,000 fine on an amended charge of second-degree controlled substance sale for buying an ounce of methamphetamine from a CEE-VI Drug Task Force agent.

As part of a plea agreement, a first-degree drug sale charge was dismissed.

The charges were filed Nov. 19 after a task force agent and a confidential informant sold Milner and his wife, Belle Marie Milner, an ounce of methamphetamine that they said they were buying for others, who they said were from Fargo and staying at their home waiting for the drugs.

Earlier in the day, the informant had received $2,200 for the drugs from Russell Milner, who was to get the drugs later in the day. Agents used previously seized drugs from a closed case and packaged the ounce distinctively to be able to identify the drugs later.

The agent, informant and Russell Milner met in a Willmar parking lot and completed the deal. He was later arrested and had the drugs, in the same package, on his person.

The agent and the informant then contacted Belle Milner and asked her to meet them to pick up the same drugs, which they said Russell had not received, in Willmar. She met them in the same parking lot, said the Fargo people, who paid for the drugs, were waiting and received the ounce of methamphetamine. She was later arrested and the drugs found on her person also matched the packaging used by the agents.

During an interview with police after her arrest, Milner admitted to meeting the informant to pick up and bring the drugs to the Fargo people. She also said she wanted to pick up some drugs for herself.

* Humberto Acevedo Jr., 27, of Willmar, was sentenced Friday to 27 months in prison on a felony charge of third-degree drug possession.

He was also ordered to pay a $50 fine with his prison earnings. He was given credit for 92 days already served in jail.

As part of a plea agreement, the charge was reduced from second-degree, and misdemeanors for giving a false name to a peace officer and fleeing an officer on foot were dismissed.

The charges were filed after a Willmar police officer was in the parking lot of the Green Mill Restaurant around 1 a.m. Nov. 28 and observed a man walking toward his squad car. The officer believed he was wanted on arrest warrants and verified that the man was indeed wanted.

The same man exited the bar a short time later with a group. The officer asked for identification and the man said he didn't have any. He gave the officer another name. He was arrested and attempted to get rid of his jacket before the officer secured him. Acevedo and the officer struggled over the jacket and then Acevedo ran away. He was apprehended a short distance away after he fell down. Another officer secured the jacket and found a glass pipe, a digital scale and 13.2 grams of a substance that tested positive as methamphetamine.

* James Randall Garske, 23, of St. Paul, pleaded guilty and was sentenced Friday to 90 days in jail and a $50 fine on a misdemeanor charge of domestic assault.

As part of a plea agreement, a felony charge of terroristic threats was dismissed.

The charges were filed after a Willmar police officer was called around 4 p.m. Feb. 7 to Ed's Service Center. A tow truck driver had picked up a woman who was stranded in the street. The woman was bleeding from her mouth and a cut above her eye and was transported to Rice Memorial Hospital for treatment. At the hospital, she said Garske, her boyfriend, had just gotten out of prison and was staying with her in Willmar. They had argued and he threatened to stab her and had repeatedly hit her in the face with a closed fist. She said he had been drinking and using cough and cold medicine to get high. Another officer located the knife allegedly used in the threatening and a witness confirmed the argument between the couple.

* Tara Lynn Strack, 22, of Little Falls, was sentenced Friday to 165 days in jail, five years of probation and a $1,000 fine on a felony fifth-degree controlled substance charge.

She was given credit for 108 days served in jail and ordered to successfully complete treatment at New Beginnings in Waverly.

As part of a plea agreement, two misdemeanors for driving after suspension and not providing proof of insurance, plus a petty misdemeanor for drug paraphernalia were dismissed.

The charges were filed after Willmar police stopped her car for speeding around 7:30 p.m. Sept. 23, 2007, along Lakeland Drive. Officers determined that her license was suspended for unpaid fees and that she was not able to provide proof of insurance. A substance, that later tested positive for methamphetamine, was found in her wallet and a glass pipe was found in the vehicle.