Weather Forecast


Three suffer smoke inhalation from house fire

WILLMAR -- Paramedics treated two adults and one child for smoke inhalation and were transported to Rice Memorial Hospital by Willmar Ambulance following a house fire Wednesday night in Willmar.

The Willmar Fire Department was called at 10:37 p.m. to a fire at 308 Eighth St. S.W. Firefighters found a fire in the basement of the home and contained the fire to the basement, according to a news release from the Kandiyohi County Sheriff's Office.

Nine people were in the home at the time of the fire and all were able to exit before emergency crews arrived. The family was alerted to the fire by smelling smoke. The house received extensive smoke damage and the family stayed with friends for the evening.

An investigation determined the fire was started by two unsupervised children playing with matches in the basement. The home had no working smoke detectors.