Weather Forecast


Funding for government lapses as short-term spending bill stalls in the Senate

Bail is $75K for man facing felonies in standoff

WILLMAR -- Unconditional bail was set at $75,000 Monday for David Wayne Chambers, 42, of Willmar, who faces two felony charges in connection with a five-hour armed standoff with Willmar police on Thursday evening.

In Kandiyohi County District Court, Chambers faces charges of second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon and terroristic threats, along with a gross misdemeanor charge for obstructing the legal process and a misdemeanor for intentionally pointing a gun.

Conditional bail was set at $5,000 cash only by Judge Donald M. Spilseth. Conditions include that Chambers keep in contact with his public defender and with probation officers, take his medications as prescribed, use no alcohol or controlled substances, submit to testing and possess no firearms or weapons.

During the hearing, Chambers told the judge that he learned of some of his actions during the standoff by reading the criminal complaint against him. "Whatever happened that night is a blur to me," he said. Chambers had earlier said he didn't remember because he was not taking anxiety medications.

Chambers was arrested after a five-hour standoff at his residence in the 1400 block of 13th Avenue Northeast.

According to the complaint, police officers responded to a 911 call at 6:52 p.m. from Chambers, who said he had a handgun, wanted to commit suicide and would shoot anyone who came to the door.

Officers secured the area and one officer called Chambers on a cell phone and attempted to negotiate with him. When those negotiations failed, the Willmar Emergency Response Team was contacted.

Another officer called Chambers, who said the gun was a BB gun and that he was going to place the gun on the step at his front door and come outside. However, when the Emergency Response Team members approached the home, he came out pointing the gun at himself and at the officers. He then went back into the home.

Around 11:35 p.m., team members were unable to see Chambers inside the home and received no response to voice commands. Around midnight, officers entered the home, activated a flash bang distraction device and found Chambers hiding under a bed, with the gun in his hand. An officer jumped on Chambers, who was aggressive and physically resisted arrest. Officers fired beanbag rounds on Chambers, who then said he was giving up. He was arrested.

The handgun was taken into possession and determined to be a Daisy Powerline Model 93 BB gun, which is carbon dioxide-powered.

Gretchen Schlosser

Gretchen Schlosser is the public safety reporter, and writes about agriculture occasionally, for the West Central Tribune. She's been with the Tribune since 2006 and has 17 years of experience working in news, media and communications. 

(320) 214-4373