Weather Forecast


Probation for man involved in police standoff

WILLMAR -- David Wayne Chambers, 42, of Willmar, was sentenced Thursday to 77 days in jail and five years of probation on a felony charge of terroristic threats for threatening several officers during a five-hour armed standoff with local police on Jan. 7.

In Kandiyohi County District Court, Chambers was also ordered to comply with the recommendations of a psychological evaluation, take his medications as prescribed, meet with his doctor to review his medications and possess no weapons. He was given credit for 77 days already served in jail.

As part of a plea agreement, a felony charge of second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon, a gross misdemeanor charge for obstructing the legal process and a misdemeanor for intentionally pointing a gun was dismissed.

Chambers received a stay of imposition on his sentence, under which the conviction will be reduced to a misdemeanor if he complies with the conditions of sentence.

Chambers was arrested after a five-hour standoff at his residence in the 1400 block of 13th Avenue Northeast. One officer was injured, suffering from frostbite, due to the subzero weather conditions during the standoff.

According to the complaint, police officers responded to a 911 call at 6:52 p.m. from Chambers, who said he had a handgun, wanted to commit suicide and would shoot anyone who came to the door. Officers secured the area and an officer called Chambers on a cell phone and attempted to negotiate with him. When those negotiations failed, the Willmar Emergency Response Team was contacted.

Another officer called Chambers, who said the gun was a BB gun and that he was going to place the gun on the step at his front door and come outside. However, when officers approached the home, Chambers came out pointing the gun at himself and at the officers. He then went back into the home. Around 11:35 p.m., team members were unable to see Chambers inside the home and received no response to voice commands.

Around midnight, officers entered the home, activated a flash-bang distraction device and found Chambers hiding under a bed, with the gun in his hand. An officer jumped on Chambers, who physically resisted arrest. Officers fired beanbag rounds on Chambers, who then said he was giving up. He was arrested.

The handgun was taken into possession and determined to be a Daisy Powerline Model 93 BB gun, which is carbon dioxide-powered.

Gretchen Schlosser

Gretchen Schlosser is the public safety reporter, and writes about agriculture occasionally, for the West Central Tribune. She's been with the Tribune since 2006 and has 17 years of experience working in news, media and communications. 

(320) 214-4373