Weather Forecast



This is the records summary for July 2.

Pennock man injured in Hawick accident

HAWICK -- Matthew Lindquist, 24, of Pennock, was injured Wednesday evening when the car he was driving slammed into the rear of a semi truck near Hawick.

According to the State Patrol, Lindquist was eastbound in a 1991 Buick on state Highway 23 around 10:30 p.m. when the car rear-ended a semi truck that was attempting to make a turn east of Hawick.

Lindquist was taken to St. Cloud hospital.

The driver of the semi, Thomas Harlow, 38, of Swanville, was not injured.


ATWATER -- The theft of a money clip, driver's license, cash and debit card was reported around 9:45 a.m. Wednesday along the 3800 block of County Road 4 Northeast.

WILLMAR -- The theft of a GPS unit, tape measures and a flashlight from a vehicle was reported around 8 a.m. Thursday along the 800 block of Monongalia Avenue Southwest.


PENNOCK -- A burglary and the theft of a computer tower and printer was reported around 8:45 a.m. Thursday along the 6500 block of 45th Avenue Northwest.

Property damage

RAYMOND -- Burning garbage and a burning bench was reported around 3:40 p.m. Wednesday at the Raymond Ball Park. The person reporting the situation put out the fire.

WILLMAR -- Damage to a vehicle, apparently caused by someone throwing a brick or block, was reported around 5:25 p.m. Wednesday along the 600 block of Litchfield Avenue Southeast.


PENNOCK -- A 34-year-old Bath, S.D., woman was arrested on charges of driving while impaired around 8 p.m. Wednesday near the intersection of Highway 12 and Kandi-Swift Line Road. Two children in the vehicle were returned to a relative by family services officials.

District Court

Kandiyohi County

- Joshua David Fortman, 24, of Crystal, was sentenced Thursday to a year and a day in prison, a $1,000 fine and $984 in restitution on a charge of domestic assault by strangulation dating back to November 2006.

The stay of execution on Fortman's prison sentence was ordered revoked by Judge Donald M. Spilseth. The order revoking the stay noted that Fortman had not paid restitution, not submitted to a domestic abuse assessment, used alcohol and drugs, failed to submit for drug testing and was arrested for driving while impaired in February 2009 in Hennepin County.

He was ordered to pay the fine and restitution from his prison earnings and was given credit for 50 days already served.

The charges were filed after a Willmar Police Department investigation into a Nov. 5, 2006, incident in which Fortman had a woman in a chokehold and at one point used two hands to choke her after an argument at her residence. The incident also included throwing the woman onto a bed and striking her nose, along with damage to a cell phone and an apartment.

- Jaser Esiongeder Lopez-Mejia, 26, of Willmar, was sentenced Thursday to a year and a day in prison, which was stayed, 37 days in jail, five years of probation and a $50 fine on a felony charge of aggravated forgery.

Lopez-Mejia was also ordered to cooperate with agents from the Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement. He was given credit for 37 days already served in jail.

As part of a plea agreement, another felony for aggravated forgery, a gross misdemeanor for giving a false name to an officer and a misdemeanor for driving without a valid license were dismissed. Lopez-Mejia has also waived extradition to Nebraska, where he is wanted in a sexual assault case.

The forgery and traffic charges were filed after May 12, when he was pulled over by a Willmar police officer for having an object hanging from his rear-view mirror and for having his rear license plate covered. He told police he didn't have a driver's license but that he had an identification card from Missouri.

He was arrested, taken to the jail, processed for the driving violations and released, according to court records.

During a subsequent investigation, it was revealed Lopez-Mejia had given police a false identity and that a warrant existed for his arrest in Nebraska for a first-degree felony offense of sexual assault involving a minor.

Using information from the police from Schuyler, Neb., that Lopez-Mejia was believed to be working at Jennie-O. Willmar police went to Jennie-O and arrested him.

According to court files, Lopez-Mejia said he moved from Guatemala to Missouri where he obtained an identification card from a friend with that person's name on it. He reportedly worked in Nebraska before moving to Willmar to get a job at Jennie-O. The company provided employment documents signed in the false name.