Weather Forecast



This is the records summary for July 14.


WILLMAR -- A case of debit card fraud was reported around noon Monday along the 3000 block of Third Avenue Northwest. A party reported someone had stolen their card and made several charges.


ATWATER -- The theft of a boat motor and boat seats was reported around 6:15 p.m. Monday along the 13000 block of Highway 12.

NEW LONDON -- The theft of a boat, valued at $400, was reported around 8 a.m. Tuesday along the 12000 block of 199th Avenue Northeast.

Property damage

WILLMAR -- Damage to a gas tank was reported around 8:40 p.m. Monday along the 400 block of 30th Street Northwest.

District Court

Kandiyohi County

- Labaron Sentell Black, 31, of Marshall, made his first appearance Tuesday on a felony domestic assault charge for allegedly assaulting a woman Sunday.

Unconditional bail was set at $50,000. His next appearance is July 26. He also faces a misdemeanor theft charge.

According to the complaint, Willmar police were called around 7:15 p.m. Sunday to an apartment southeast Willmar on a domestic disturbance. A woman there reported she had let Black, with whom she had previously had a relationship, stay at the residence because he had nowhere else to go. She said he had called her derogatory names, attempted to choke her and repeatedly returned to the residence to continue to threaten her. She had bite marks on her arm and hand where he had allegedly bitten her in order to get her cell phone from her.

Black's prior convictions include assault and terroristic threats convictions in August 2006, June 2007, August 2007 and June of this year.

n Allison Nicole Pace, 29, of Spicer, was sentenced Monday to 21 months in prison on a third-degree drug sale charge and a fifth-degree drug possession charge.

The stay of execution on her prison sentence was revoked at Pace's request. She was given credit for 93 days already served and ordered to pay her remaining court fees and fines with prison earnings.

Pace had received a stayed sentence in April for her role in a series of drug purchases made by a CEE-VI Drug Task Force informant in July and August of 2009. She was one of five people charged in the crimes. The last defendant, Shea Morgan Carlson, 24, of Spicer, will be sentenced Thursday on a second-degree drug sale charge.

Kristy Lynn Blinsky, 31, of Spicer, was sentenced May 19 to 48 months in prison on a second-degree controlled substance sale charge. Corinne Clariette Fader, 57, of Spicer, was sentenced in April to 41 months in prison on a second-degree controlled substance charge.

Amanda Sue O'Leary, 19, of Spicer, was sentenced to 126 days in jail, a $1,500 fine and 20 years of probation on a third-degree drug sale charge.

Carlson and O'Leary were both charged after the informant purchased a total of 11.7 grams of meth from Carlson on July 15 and 24, and Aug. 7 in Willmar and Spicer.

O'Leary, identified as Carlson's girlfriend, assisted in the deals. Tests performed by the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension showed the drug to be methamphetamine.

The charges against Blinsky were filed after the informant purchased 5.8 grams of meth from Fader on Aug. 28 in the parking lot outside a Willmar business.

The purchase was the first of multiple buys in which the informant purchased a total of 19.1 grams of meth between Sept. 2 and 4 at Fader's rural Spicer home and at other locations around the city.

Blinsky was the supplier of the meth, with Pace also involved in the drug sales.

- Nicholas Frederick Scheeler, 40, of Lake Lillian, pleaded guilty Monday to an amended charge of fifth-degree drug possession.

As part of a plea agreement, the charge was reduced from first-degree possession and a felony for storing methamphetamine paraphernalia and a gross misdemeanor for child endangerment will be dismissed. He will be sentenced Sept. 7.

Scheeler and Jennifer Ann VanZee, 33, were charged after CEE-VI Drug Task Force agents served a search warrant on their home in October. Van Zee was sentenced to 15 months in prison, which was stayed, 365 days in the county jail, a $2,000 fine and 30 years of probation on a fourth-degree drug possession charge.

The charges were filed after, as part of an ongoing investigation by CEE-VI Drug Task Force agents into the distribution of meth in the Willmar area, agents conducted a garbage collection at the couple's home on Oct. 27. The collection had been arranged with the sanitation company and produced three bags of trash, including a green leafy substance that tested positive as marijuana and a bag with white powder residue.

The next day, a search warrant was served and officers located marijuana, bags with meth residue, a marijuana pipe and seeds that appeared to be marijuana. They also located a glass bong used for smoking meth with water in it and a propane torch.

In a bedroom used by several juveniles, officers also located pornographic magazines and journals with photos that appeared to show juveniles under the influence.

The state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension analyzed the bong water and determined it was positive for meth and measured as 115 grams.

n Tavares Shontell James, 23, of Willmar, pleaded guilty Monday to two felony charges for domestic assault by strangulation and violation of a no-contact order.

As part of a plea agreement, three additional charges for domestic assault and violation of no-contact order will be dismissed. He will be sentenced Aug. 31.

One of the no-contact order violation charges was filed after March 23, when a Kandiyohi County sheriff's deputy was called to a home in Pennock. A county corrections officer had observed James and a woman together in a vehicle, in violation of a domestic assault-no contact order issued Oct. 23. The deputy also observed James and the woman together.

The no contact order was issued after James was arrested in October on a gross misdemeanor domestic assault and interfering with a 911 call.

The domestic assault charges were filed after May 2, when a woman met a Kandiyohi County Sheriff's deputy at the Law Enforcement Center. She had obvious injuries to her face, neck and hands. Other injuries were later found on her wrist, arm and knee. The woman said she'd been assaulted by James, with whom she'd had a relationship. The incident had happened in Pennock. He pushed her into a bathtub, put her into a headlock, pinched her esophagus so she couldn't breathe and attempted to drag her into an apartment building. She said he left with someone else and that she followed him into Willmar, had a confrontation with him and then came to report the incident.

The final no-contact order violation charge was filed after May 3, when deputies were called to the woman's Pennock residence. She called to report that James was in the residence. Officers knocked on the door, but no one answered. They got a key from the landlord and located James inside the residence. He claimed she told him to come over to the home. She said he had come into the home and that she'd asked him to leave. When he wouldn't, she left and called law enforcement.

- Bashir Yusuf, 39, of Willmar, pleaded guilty and was sentenced Monday on a misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct in a case were he was accused of holding a trowel to a man's throat, threatening his life and not allowing him to leave a shop in the Centre Point Mall.

As part of a plea agreement, three felony charges of second-degree assault, terroristic threats and false imprisonment were dismissed.

He was sentenced to 90 days in jail, with 88 days stayed and credit for two days served, a $500 fine, with $350 stayed, and six months of unsupervised probation. He was also ordered to serve 25 hours of community service work, have no contact with the victim and write an apology letter.

The charges were filed after a man reported to the Willmar police that he had been assaulted on Nov. 12 by Yusuf at Centre Point Mall in downtown Willmar. The man said he'd been hired to do maintenance work at the mall and also that Yusuf, a store owner, had hired him to do some work in his store. He said that Yusuf wanted some tile work done and got upset with him when he said he would complete the work later.

The man said that Yusuf had picked up a trowel and pressed it to his neck and said "finish the work or I will kill you." He also said that Yusuf had shut the door to the store, while other Somali men stood outside, and held him inside the shop against his will. He said he yelled until people began walking by the shop and eventually he was allowed to leave.

Witnesses said they heard the man yelling and saw the men standing in front of the shop door.

Yusuf was interviewed and said he hired the man to do some work and that he wouldn't finish it. He said they argued, but denied any physical contact or threatening.

- Corey James Fordham, 16, of Spicer, pleaded not guilty Monday to a felony charge of second-degree assault and misdemeanor charges of fifth-degree assault and disorderly conduct.

His next court appearance is Aug. 10.

According to the petition, the Kandiyohi County Sheriff's deputy working as the school resource officer at New London-Spicer High School was called to the emotional behavioral disability classroom on May 26. A teacher reported that two students had been involved in an incident that involved a student hitting Fordham with a hat, the two fighting and shoving each other around. The incident had ended with Fordham getting an aluminum bat out of a locker and chasing the other student out of the classroom with the bat.

Fordham said the other student hit him with the hat, which upset him, so he took an item from the other student and wouldn't return it, which caused an altercation between the students. He refused to say what had happened after the altercation.

The other student admitted hitting Fordham with the hat and struggling over the item. He said Fordham cussed him, got the bat and that he heard him swing the bat as he was leaving the room. The student said he saw fearful expressions on other people's faces as Fordham swung the bat. Security video confirmed that Fordham swung the bat as the other student left the room.