Weather Forecast


Duluth teenager said to be shot, killed by Duluth police officer

DULUTH - A 17-year-old Duluth boy apparently died in the street near his Norton Park home late Thursday after being shot by a Duluth police officer.

Duluth police have confirmed there was an officer-involved shooting Thursday night and have scheduled an 11:30 a.m. news conference.

But witnesses say Joey Carl, who lived at 424 N. 79th Ave. W., was shot by an officer after arguing with and then charging the officer with a baseball bat.

Carl had apparently become enraged in a dispute at his home, possibly with his father, and then used a bat to smash the windows of a Ford pickup in their driveway, and police were called to the scene just before midnight, witnesses said.

One neighbor said they recognized Carl and saw him chase a police car and hit the squad with the bat.

Another neighbor, Robin Overby, who lives next to the Carls, said, "Every window in their house and his dad's truck is busted. He (Joey) really went off."

Overby said he saw the body still lying, covered, in the street about 1:30 a.m.

"He wasn't a bad kid. He had some problems. But nothing like this," Overby said. "It's not good."

Linda Iverson, another neighbor, said she heard "pounding" sounds of the bat hitting vehicles and then heard someone she believed was a police officer talking to Carl. Then a shot.

"It sounded like he really tried to talk Joey out of it. I could hear him say, 'Joey, don't do this, let's talk,' " Iverson said. "The shot really didn't sound any louder than the pounding noises."

Another neighbor said they heard a man say: "Joey, you're going to jail tonight," and then heard a single gunshot.

Three of Carl's friends -- Nate Yost, Ben LaFontaine and Austin Overfors -- said they had been at a bonfire in Morgan Park with Carl earlier in the evening that was broken up by police. They said Carl was cited by police for underage drinking and taken away from the bonfire in a squad car.

His friends said Carl later texted them that he received a ride home from police.

What happened after that remains unclear. His friends told the News Tribune that when they walked to Carl's house they found it surrounded by police and were told the situation with Carl was "not good."

Neighbors told the News Tribune early this morning that they herd the sound of glass breaking sometime after 11 p.m. It was so loud that several said they called 911.

Staff writers Lisa Baumann and Brandon Stahl contributed to this story.