Weather Forecast



This is the records summary for Sept. 2.

Homes burglarized in Belgrade, chief asks citizens to watch, call law

BELGRADE -- The Belgrade Police Department and the Stearns County Sheriff's office are investigating a series of home burglaries that happened Aug. 24 and 25 in and near Belgrade.

According to Belgrade Police Chief Ozzie Carbajal, there were six break-ins, five in the city and one home just outside of the city limits during the overnight hours of Aug. 24 and 25 and Aug. 25 and 26. Of those six incidents, five involved homes where residents were asleep. None of the residents woke up during the burglary and there was no confrontation with the suspect or suspects.

The suspects entered through windows and took cash and other items, Carbajal said.

The chief is advising citizens to lock their doors and windows, leave a light on and report anything that seems out of place or someone they don't recognize to either the police department or the sheriff's office.

Woman to hospital after crash at uncontrolled intersection

WILLMAR -- A 33-year-old Hugo woman was taken by ambulance to Rice Memorial Hospital for treatment of injuries sustained in a two-vehicle crash around 1:10 p.m. Tuesday at the intersection of Fourth Street and Robbins Avenue Southwest.

According to the crash report, Tamara Tubbs was driving a 2002 Toyota that collided with a 2007 Chevy driven by Mary Straus, 49, of Atwater. Tubbs was southbound on Fourth Street and Straus was westbound on Robbins Avenue. Straus and an 11-year-old passenger in Tubbs' vehicle were not hurt.

Property damage

WILLMAR -- Damage to a motorcycle and the theft of items off of the cycle was reported around 2:45 p.m. Tuesday along the 700 block of Third Street Southwest.


WILLMAR -- The theft of $100 from a wallet was reported around 3 p.m. Tuesday along the 4000 block of 15th Avenue Southeast.

PENNOCK -- A gas drive-off theft was reported around 5:25 p.m. Tuesday at the Pit Stop, 102 W. Highway 12. The unpaid bill was $45.62.

WILLMAR -- A 24-year-old Willmar male was cited for theft around 10:30 p.m. Tuesday after a resident along the 1400 block of Ninth Street Southwest reported to Willmar Police that someone was in their backyard stealing lawn chairs. A vehicle was stopped nearby and the citation issued.

District Court

Kandiyohi County

- Tavares Shontell James, 23, of Willmar, was sentenced Tuesday to 18 months in prison, which was stayed, 270 days in the county jail, five years of probation and $2,000 in fines on two felony charges for domestic assault by strangulation and violation of a no-contact order.

He was given credit for 76 days already served in jail and ordered to stay a reasonable distance from the victim, possess no firearms, submit to a domestic abuse evaluation and follow the recommendations, among other probation conditions.

As part of a plea agreement, three additional charges for domestic assault and violation of no-contact order were dismissed.

One of the no-contact order violation charges was filed after March 23, when a Kandiyohi County sheriff's deputy was called to a home in Pennock. A county corrections officer had observed James and a woman together in a vehicle, in violation of a domestic assault-no contact order issued Oct. 23. The deputy also observed James and the woman together.

The no contact order was issued after James was arrested in October on a gross misdemeanor domestic assault and interfering with a 911 call.

The domestic assault charges were filed after May 2, when a woman met a Kandiyohi County Sheriff's deputy at the Law Enforcement Center. She had obvious injuries to her face, neck and hands. Other injuries were later found on her wrist, arm and knee. The woman said she'd been assaulted by James, with whom she'd had a relationship. The incident had happened in Pennock. He pushed her into a bathtub, put her into a headlock, pinched her esophagus so she couldn't breathe and attempted to drag her into an apartment building. She said he left with someone else and that she followed him into Willmar, had a confrontation with him and then came to report the incident.

The final no-contact order violation charge was filed after May 3, when deputies were called to the woman's Pennock residence. She called to report that James was in the residence. Officers knocked on the door, but no one answered. They got a key from the landlord and located James inside the residence. He claimed she told him to come over to the home. She said he had come into the home and that she'd asked him to leave. When he wouldn't, she left and called law enforcement.

- Rojelio Garza, 23, of Hawick, was sentenced Monday to 34 days in jail, a $300 fine and five years of probation on a felony charge of receiving stolen property for stealing his girlfriend's vehicle in North Dakota and driving it to Willmar.

He was given credit for 34 days already served. He was ordered to pay restitution, which remains open in the case.

As part of a plea agreement, another felony for bringing stolen goods into the state was dismissed. Garza received a stay of imposition on his sentence, under which if he successfully complies with the conditions of his sentence, the felony conviction will be reduced to a misdemeanor.

The charges were filed after June 25, when Willmar police were called to an address along Third Avenue Northwest to determine if a stolen vehicle was at the address. Police had received a report from Jamestown, N.D., that a woman had reported she'd had an argument with her boyfriend, Garza, and that he'd taken her vehicle and left with it, even though she'd told him not too. Officers located the vehicle and Garza admitted to taking the vehicle and driving to Willmar, even though he assumed the woman would report it stolen.

- Pedro Garcia, 33, of Willmar, was sentenced to 65 days in jail, a $50 fine and three years of probation on a felony charge of forgery.

As part of the plea agreement, three other charges for aggravated forgery, forgery and giving a false name were dismissed.

The case is being turned over to Immigrants and Customs Enforcement.

According to court records, Pedro Garcia, who is also known as Carlos Ramone Ramos-Gomez, was arrested by Willmar Police on June 27 on DWI charges and taken to the Law Enforcement Center. An interpreter who was called in to assist with processing Garcia recognized him from a previous violation. When his fingerprints were put in the system they were matched with the name Carlos Ramone Ramos-Gomez, who had an active arrest warrant for another DWI case.

When asked what his "real" name was, Garcia admitted that he'd been arrested in 2008 and had used a false name at that time when he provided law enforcement with a Florida identification card.