Weather Forecast



This is the records summary for July 19.

One man to hospital, one arrested after assault in Spicer

WILLMAR -- A 24-year-old man was taken by ambulance to Rice Memorial Hospital and another 24-year-old man was arrested on charges of third-degree assault and driving while impaired early Monday morning.

A citizen living near downtown Spicer reported at 1:52 a.m. that there was a man at the door to their home who said he'd been beaten at a bar and was bleeding from the face. New London Ambulance and the Spicer First Responders, along with sheriff's deputies, responded and the man was taken to the hospital.

The suspect was later located driving a vehicle in Willmar and was stopped and arrested around 3 a.m.


WILLMAR -- An assault involving two inmates in the Kandiyohi County Jail was reported around 3:20 p.m. Friday. A 22-year-old man will be charged with third-degree assault

Property damage

WILLMAR -- Damage to a sprinkler head was reported around 11 p.m. Sunday at the Kandiyohi County Jail, 2201 23rd St. N.E.

KANDIYOHI -- A vehicle was damaged, but no one was injured, when a tree fell on a vehicle driving around midnight in the area of County Road 8 and 67th Avenue Southeast.

District Court

Kandiyohi County

- Bret Joseph Kasel, 28, of Willmar, was sentenced Monday to 30 days in jail, a $500 fine and five years of probation on a felony charge of possessing a short-barreled shotgun.

The jail time, set to begin Oct. 1, can be deferred if Kasel is in compliance with probation conditions. As part of a plea agreement, he received a stay of adjudication. Under the stay, the conviction will not appear on his record if he complies with the conditions of sentence.

The charge was filed after sheriff's deputies on March 18 went to Kasel's rural Willmar home, seeking to arrest him on a warrant from Douglas County. Kasel wasn't at the residence, but a woman said the deputies could look around the home. In an upstairs room, they located a extremely short-barreled single-shot break action shotgun. The barrel measured 12¾ inches and the gun was an Excel brand .410 shotgun. The woman said the gun belonged to Kasel.

- Fredis Geovany Borjas, 32, of Willmar, was sentenced Monday to one year and one day in prison, which was stayed, 58 days in jail, $100 in fines and five years of probation on felony charges of third-degree assault and aggravated forgery.

Borjas, who is also known as Jorge Delgado, was given credit for 58 days already served in custody and ordered to cooperate with agents from the Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

The charges were filed after Willmar police were called around 1:20 p.m. May 21 to Nelsen Launderers, 220 Benson Ave. S.W., on an assault report. They arrived to find a man bleeding from a large, deep laceration in his left arm. An ambulance was called and the man was taken to Rice Memorial Hospital for treatment of the cut.

Two witnesses reported that Borjas had entered the building and fought with the man, throwing the man into a window and causing the cut. One of the witnesses reported that she had a relationship with Borjas and was currently dating the other man. An officer went to the hospital and interviewed the man, who said he was grabbed from behind and assaulted by Borjas, whom he knew as someone who had dated the woman. He said he had no idea why he was assaulted.

The next day, officers received information that Borjas was living on the southeast side of town and using the Delgado name to work. He was arrested and admitted to fighting with the man and to using the false name. He said he had bought a birth certificate and Social Security number six years ago for $600, worked at Willmar Poultry and was Honduran.

The investigation revealed that Borjas had signed the Delgado name to employment forms in September and November 2010.

- A felony charge of storing methamphetamine paraphernalia in the presence of a child against Linda Denise Carlson, 51, of Willmar, was continued for dismissal Monday.

As part of a plea agreement, Carlson was ordered to serve a year of probation and, if she complies with the conditions, including ensuring the safety of children in her care, the charge will be dismissed.

Carlson and Todd Keith Espelien, 47, of Willmar, were charged after a search warrant was served on their home on Jan. 26.

Espelien was sentenced in June to 15 months in prison, which was stayed, 10 years of probation and 180 days in the county jail on a felony charge of fifth-degree drug possession.

He was also ordered to pay a $1,500 fine and attend Narcotics or Alcoholics Anonymous, not use or possess drugs or alcohol and follow the recommendations of a chemical use assessment.

The charges were filed after CEE-VI Drug Task Force agents were attempting to locate Espelien around 1 p.m. Jan. 26 and went to Carlson's home looking for him. The agents arrested Espelien and located a small amount of marijuana and drug paraphernalia on his person. The residence was secured and the agents sought and received a search warrant. The search of the home revealed meth paraphernalia in plain view, .2 grams of meth on a plate and a vial with .5 grams of meth in a bedroom, plus numerous other paraphernalia items.

n Daniel Loera, 27, of Willmar, made his first appearance Monday on a felony charge of fleeing a peace officer in a motor vehicle.

Unconditional bail was set at $10,000. His next appearance is a revocation hearing Thursday in a 2010 domestic assault case.

Loera also faces a misdemeanor charge of driving without a valid license.

According to the complaint, a Willmar police officer was in an unmarked squad car around 5:30 p.m. Friday on Trott Avenue Southeast and saw a vehicle with Loera driving. The officer stopped and approached the vehicle, which drove away eastbound on Trott Avenue.

The officer followed with his emergency lights activated and the car stopped along Augusta Avenue, only to accelerate away when the officer approached. The officer pursed the vehicle and the car stopped again along Second Street Southeast and Loera was arrested. He allegedly told officers that he thought the officer was someone with whom he'd had problems in the past, so he took off.

A woman and a 1-year-old child were in the vehicle while the pursuit was happening.