Deadline is Thursday to apply to United Way of West Central Minn. for food, shelter funding
WILLMAR -- United Way of West Central Minnesota reminds agencies who serve the hungry and homeless that the application deadline for supplemental funding is Thursday.
The local United Way has received $4,835 in federal funds under the Emergency Food and Shelter National Board Program to supplement emergency food and shelter programs in Kandiyohi County during the remainder of 2011.
The intent of funding is to address hunger and homeless needs to make a difference -- not to simply spread dollars among all eligible applicants. The grant requires local agencies receiving the funds to:
* Be private voluntary nonprofits or units of government.
* Have an accounting system.
* Be eligible to receive federal funding.
* Practice nondiscrimination.
* Have demonstrated the capability to deliver emergency food and shelter programs.
* Have a voluntary board if they are a private voluntary organization.
Qualifying agencies are urged to apply. Public or private voluntary agencies interested in applying for funds should call the United Way of West Central Minnesota at 320-235-1050 for an application.
The application deadline to be received is Thursday. At 9 a.m. Thursday a meeting will convene with the local board to determine funding allocations.