Weather Forecast


Woman who brought machete to Willmar, Minn., farmers market fails to show for court hearing

Betty Denice Reveles

WILLMAR -- An arrest warrant was issued Tuesday for a Willmar woman after she failed to appear for a court hearing on charges that she threatened a woman with a machete at the farmers market this summer.

Betty Denice Reveles, 50, was scheduled to appear at a hearing Tuesday afternoon but did not show up, according to court records.

She had been released on her own recognizance since being charged Aug. 8 in Kandiyohi County District Court with second-degree assault and making terroristic threats, both of which are felonies, and disorderly conduct, a misdemeanor.

Willmar police were called at 10:49 a.m. Aug. 6 to the farmers market on U.S. Highway 12 East after receiving a report that one of the vendors was being threatened by a woman with a machete.

According to the court complaint, police arrived to find the suspect, later identified as Reveles, was still on the premises a few tables down from the alleged victim's food stand.

Court records said Reveles allegedly admitted she was carrying a machete in a shopping bag but said she had brought it to the farmers market to have it sharpened and denied removing it from the bag or pointing it at the victim.

Under questioning, she "became increasingly uncooperative with the officers, yelling (expletives), and making a scene in the middle of the farmers market," the complaint said. At that point she was taken into custody. A machete, estimated at 19 to 20 inches long, was found in her shopping bag.

According to the complaint filed in court, Reveles reportedly had worked briefly at the market for the vendor and submitted a bill for $550, then allegedly began harassing the vendor with phone calls demanding to be paid. The vendor told Willmar police that Reveles showed up at the farmers market that morning, brandished the machete and said, "I'm going to get you; see my machete?"

A witness at a nearby table, interviewed by police officers, reportedly overheard the altercation and saw the knife being pointed at the victim.

A conviciton for second-degree assault carries a maximum penalty of seven years in prison, a $14,000 fine or both. Making terroristic threats has a maximum penalty of five years in prison, a $10,000 fine or both. Disorderly conduct can bring a maximum sentence of 90 days, $1,000 or both.

Reveles was convicted of fifth-degree assault in Hennepin County in 1991.

Carolyn Lange

A reporter for 35 years, Carolyn Lange covers regional news with the West Central Tribune.

(320) 894-9750