Weather Forecast


Fatal explosion caused by LP gas leak on Big Kaniyohi Lake near WIllmar, Minn.

WILLMAR -- An explosion and fire Wednesday at a home on Big Kandiyohi Lake that killed a Lake Lillian man was caused by an LP gas leak.

Kandiyohi County Sheriff Dan Hartog said Friday the State Fire Marshal determined that the explosion and fire was accidental and involved an LP gas leak inside the small lakeside house.

Daniel Ray Rustad, 64, died in the incident. He was the lone occupant in the home, located along the 6400 block of 126th Avenue Southeast.

Hartog did not know how Rustad died but said the case is now closed.

In a news release, Hartog said it's important for people to call their gas company if odors are detected or if a gas appliance isn't working properly so that professionals can evaluate where the gas smell is coming from or why the appliance isn't working.

In a brief interview, Hartog said neighboring homes were not at risk of a gas explosion.

Homes on either side of the Rustad house, however, were damaged when fire melted the siding of the neighboring homes.

The fire was initially reported around 2:15 p.m. Wednesday when a citizen saw the smoke from across the lake and called law enforcement.

The Blomkest and Lake Lillian fire departments responded to the fire and the Kandiyohi County Rescue Squad and Lake Lillian Ambulance were also at the scene.