DPS video: Smoke alarms help girl save grandmother from burning Grove City home
GROVE CITY –– A local woman and her 11-year-old granddaughter talk about how they escaped a house fire this July in rural Grove City in a video recently released by the Minnesota Department of Public Safety.
Alerted by a smoke alarm, Karen Hubert and her granddaughter, Morgan Hubert, were able to get out of the house safely and notified emergency personnel, according to Tribune archives.
Last year in Minnesota, 25 people died in homes where smoke alarms were missing, inoperative or undetectable, according to the news release from the DPS.
The Hubert family and the DPS urge people to test their alarms and change the batteries before it is too late.