Weather Forecast



This is the records summary for Nov. 23.

Injuries in Spicer crash, driver arrested for criminal vehicular operation

SPICER — The driver of a van that ran off the roadway and struck a traffic light pole around 10 p.m. Thursday in Spicer was arrested for criminal vehicular operation.

According to State Patrol Sgt. Jesse Grabow, Cody Wordes, 22, of Brainerd, was driving a vehicle that crashed at the intersection of State Highway 23 and County Road 10 in Spicer.

There were three other occupants in the vehicle and their condition was unknown Friday; however, one person was reported to have injuries, Grabow said.

The crash remains under investigation.

According to the Kandiyohi County jail roster, Wordes was booked into the jail around 2 a.m. Friday morning and his first court hearing is pending.

District Court

Kandiyohi County

- Mohamed Ahmed Omar, 27, of Willmar, pleaded guilty Thursday to a felony charge of second-degree burglary for his role in breaking into an apartment on Sept. 10 on the southwest side of the city.

As part of a plea agreement, a gross misdemeanor count of theft and a misdemeanor count of property damage will be dismissed. He will be sentenced Dec. 27.

Omar and Farah Hirsi Awale, 19, of Willmar, are charged in the case. Awale’s next hearing is Jan. 6.

The charges were filed after Willmar police were called just before 3 p.m. Sept. 10 to Ninth Street Southwest. A woman there reported that she had seen two men, a man in a yellow shirt and another in a red sweater, enter a nearby apartment and take items, which they put into the trunk of a silver car. The woman had taken photos of the men as they left the location.

An officer found the vehicle and the men matching the description given by the woman in the downtown area. The woman later identified the men as the burglars.

Awale was interviewed and denied any burglary, claiming that he had been sitting at a picnic table near Bethel Church since 1 p.m. The owner of the vehicle allowed officers to search the trunk, where they found a game system and accessories and a laptop computer.

When the two men were taken into custody, Awale claimed that Omar was the person who actually entered the apartment and took the items.

- Jonathan Ariel Pineda-Amaya, 22, of Willmar, was sentenced Thursday to 12 months and one day in prison, which was stayed, 244 days in jail, five years of probation and a $50 fine on

a felony charge of second-degree riot for his role in a stabbing incident in March that began as a fight over a soccer match.

Pineda-Amaya was also ordered to cooperate with agents from the federal Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement. He was given credit for 244 days already served in custody.

As part of a plea agreement, five additional charges of second-degree assault and terroristic threats were dismissed.

Pineda-Amaya was one of four men charged in the incident. Juan Carlos Bueso-Dejesus, 32, is scheduled to appear next on Jan. 21.

Selvin Eliazar Arevalo-Lopez, 32, has been sentenced to one year and one day in prison, which was stayed, 129 days in jail, five years of probation and a $1,000 fine on a second-degree riot charge.

Darril Adali Guerrero-Amaya, 20, of Willmar, has been sentenced to one year and one day in prison, which was stayed, 90 days in jail, five years of probation and a $500 fine on a second-degree riot charge.

The two men injured in the incident were taken to Rice Memorial Hospital in Willmar and treated for stab wounds. One of the men was stabbed in the upper back and the other had multiple stab wounds to his face, arms and chest.

According to the complaints, Willmar police were called around 12:40 a.m. March 22 to a fight at the Caribbean Club, along Business 71 in Willmar. The responding officers kept the group of people from fighting and determined that no one involved wanted to press charges.

The same officers were in the Willow Run Apartment area just after 1 a.m. March 23 when a fight was reported in the parking lot of one of the buildings in the complex in the 400 block of 15th Avenue Southwest in Willmar. They quickly located the four men. Three knives were located with the men.

The officers interviewed witnesses who said the victim who suffered the multiple stab wounds had had an altercation with one of the men over the Honduras-Mexico soccer match. They reported they were taking the man who was stabbed to get stitches when the four men ambushed them with knives as they exited the building. The second victim was stabbed in the back during the “ambush.” A woman told police that Pineda-Amaya had also threatened the second victim, who identified Pineda-Amaya as his assailant.

- Travis David Baron, 24, of Willmar, was sentenced Friday to 21 months in prison, which was stayed, 179 days in jail, a total of $1,050 in fines and five years of probation on a felony charge of terroristic threats and a gross misdemeanor charge of domestic assault.

Baron was given credit for 179 days already served and was ordered to complete treatment, possess no firearms or weapons and ordered be evaluated for the cognitive skills program.

As part of a plea agreement, two additional felony charges for second-degree assault and domestic assault by strangulation were dismissed.

The charges were filed after May 28, when Willmar police were called around 9:15 p.m. to the 800 block of Litchfield Avenue Southwest, where a woman was reporting that her roommate had beaten her and was threatening to kill her.

Responding officers were met by a woman, with visible bruises and pain, who was brought to Rice Hospital. At the hospital, the woman said she lived with Baron, that he wouldn’t let her leave the apartment, wouldn’t let her work and would only let her leave the residence occasionally. The woman said that Baron had always abused her but that significant abuse, including hitting with fists and objects and kicking her, escalated in the past month. The woman said that Baron threatened to kill her and others if she didn’t return from the store within 15 minutes.

Officers took photos of the woman’s injuries, including bruises to her arms, legs and back and a knife wound to her arm, caused by Baron telling her to put a knife on her arm and then him pushing the blade down into the flesh.

Baron was arrested and interviewed by police. He admitted to slapping and hitting the woman and that he did push the knife down into the woman’s arm.