Weather Forecast



This is the records summary for Jan. 22.

No injuries after chemical container ruptures

DASSEL — No injuries were reported after a sealed chemical container ruptured Monday afternoon at Spectralytics, 145 Third St. S., in Dassel.

Meeker County Sheriff Jeff Norlin said in a news release that sheriff’s deputies, the Dassel Fire Department, Dassel Rescue and Gold Cross Ambulance responded at 4:16 p.m. to Spectralytics for a report of an explosion in the chemical department.

There were no reported injuries, but Gold Cross Ambulance was paged and Spectralytics employees were evacuated as a safety precaution.

Norlin said a Spectralytics chemical engineer was pouring used acids into a 55-gallon waste container when a reaction occurred, causing the sealed container to rupture.  Spectralytics arranged for a private hazardous material company to remove the chemicals.

There was no damage to the Spectralytics building or equipment. Spectralytics did suspend shifts until the cleanup is completed.


WILLMAR — A 26-year-old man was injured after he drove into a moving train around 1 p.m. Saturday near 45th Avenue Southwest and Highway 23 Southwest, about three miles outside of Willmar.

According to the accident report, Cody Krogfus, of Willmar, was driving southeast on 45th Avenue in a 1996 Jeep Cherokee and didn’t see the train in time because of a grove of trees. When he tried to stop, he slid on the icy, snow-packed road and into the train.

The Jeep started on fire. Krogfus was transported by ambulance to Rice Memorial Hospital.


WILLMAR — A fire started in a boys bathroom at Willmar Senior High School after a battery from an e-cigarette exploded. The incident was reported around 2:30 p.m. Monday.


NEW LONDON — A burglary was reported at a business on the 16400 block of Highway 71 Northeast around 6 a.m. Tuesday. According to the incident report, the camera had been unplugged and the back door was unlocked. The business was ransacked, and damage to the property was reported.


ATWATER — A wallet containing a debit card was reported stolen around 11 a.m. Tuesday on the 100 block of Second Street South. According to the report, four transactions were made on the debit card after it was reported stolen.