Weather Forecast



This is the records summary for March 13.

Grease fire claims Hector house; six treated for smoke injuries

HECTOR — Six people escaped from a burning Hector residence Tuesday evening and were treated for smoke-related injuries.

According to Hector Police Chief Patrick Callahan, police and fire crews responded to 530 Douglas Ave. E. just before 9 p.m. Tuesday and confirmed that the occupants had gotten out of the building.

The victims were transported by Hector and Buffalo Lake ambulances to Renville County Hospital where they were treated and released.

The Buffalo Lake Fire Department was also called to battle the blaze, and the Buffalo Lake Police Department, and Renville County Sheriff’s Office also responded.

The investigation by the State Fire Marshal indicated the fire originated in the kitchen and was determined to be a grease fire. The displaced occupants were provided assistance by the American Red Cross.


WILLMAR — The theft of a gas-powered heater was reported around 8:30 a.m. Wednesday along the 200 block of 23rd Street Southeast

District Court, Kandiyohi County

- Philomene Rose Skinaway, 20, of Willmar, made her first appearance Wednesday on felony third-degree assault and theft charges for her roles in allegedly beating a woman and then stealing her cell phone in October.

Unconditional bail was set at $50,000. Her next appearance is March 24.

Skinaway is one of three women charged in the case. Micahella Helen Froelich, 21, faces three felony charges, two for assault and one for theft.

Brandie Ilene Walton, 37, also faces one assault count and one theft count. Walton and Froelich are scheduled to make their next appearances April 14.

According to the complaints, the woman reported to Willmar Police on Oct. 6 that she had been assaulted by Froelich, Walton and Skinaway.

The woman had visible injuries to her face, had a fractured eye socket, a broken nose and significant bruises to her face and body. She was advised by medical personnel at Rice Memorial Hospital that she would need to follow up with an eye specialist in the Twin Cities.

The woman said she had been bullied by Skinaway at her workplace and had reported the incidents, which got Skinaway fired from her job at the same business.

She said all three women had entered her bedroom by breaking down the door and assaulted her, with Froelich taking her phone, because Froelich thought she had been taping the beating.

Walton eventually told the other women to stop hitting the victim and then the trio left the residence, but not before Froelich said that if the woman reported the incident to law enforcement, there would be more of the same for the woman.

The phone, an iPhone 5 with a case, was valued at $800.

- Mitchell Edward Bane, 21, of Willmar, was sentenced Wednesday to 90 days in jail, a $1,500 fine, of which $750 was stayed, and 10 years of probation on a third-degree drug sale charge for his role in selling methamphetamine to a CEE-VI Drug Task Force informant.

As part of a plea agreement, another felony charge was dismissed.

Bane was one of three people charged in the case. Mariah Shanlee Koenen, 19, of Willmar, was sentenced to 30 days in jail, a $700 fine and 10 years of probation on two third-degree drug sale charges.

Dameon Alonzo Taylor, 34, of Willmar, has a warrant for his arrest.

The charges were filed after an informant purchased 0.9 grams of meth from the trio June 25 in a parking lot at the Willow Run Apartment complex in Willmar. The informant also told law enforcement officers that Koenen was carrying a 2- to 3-month-old infant during the drug deal.

On July 3, the informant purchased 0.4 grams of meth from Taylor and Bane at the same location.

On Aug. 14, the informant purchased 1 gram of meth in the parking lot of the Willmar McDonalds restaurant, with Taylor arranging the sale, and Koenen delivering the drugs and accepting payment.

- Sofia Felecitas Solis, 25, of Kerkhoven, made her first appearance Wednesday on a felony charge of wrongfully obtaining assistance.

She was released on her personal recognizance. Her next appearance is March 24.

According to the complaint, an investigation by Kandiyohi County Family Services began in January 2013 into Solis’s claims that her husband, the father of her child, didn’t live with her in Willmar. Solis had filled out public assistance forms claiming that he lived in Illinois, as they were separated. The investigation revealed that he was working for two local staffing agencies and employment documents showed his address as the same apartment were Solis lived.

There were also two police reports, generated after domestic incident calls, that listed both Solis and the man living at the same apartment. On Feb. 8, 2013, the county’s fraud investigator and a police detective went to the home and found both Solis and the man there. The man denied that he lived at the residence, but refused to give his address.

Four days later, Solis allegedly called family services and wanted to claim that the man did indeed live with her.

Based on the man’s income, Solis was overpaid $7,278 in benefits.