Willmar home destroyed by fire, caused by wood stove
WILLMAR -- An improperly installed wood-burning stove caused the fire that destroyed a southwest Willmar home Tuesday evening.
According to Willmar Fire Chief Marv Calvin, a neighbor who saw and smelled smoke called the fire at 1718 Monongalia Ave. S.W. in to authorities at 11:17 p.m. Tuesday. Willmar Police officers responded and arrived to find smoke and fire on the north side of the home.
Firefighters entered and found the home fully involved in fire, Calvin said. Crews were on the scene until just after 2 a.m.
The resident of the home was at work at the time, Calvin added. He was offered assistance from the Red Cross and Salvation Army, but declined that assistance.
Also responding were the Willmar Ambulance and Willmar Municipal Utilities.