Weather Forecast


Willmar man sentenced to prison for assault, strangulation


WILLMAR — A Willmar man has received a 14-year prison sentence for a violent assault and rape of a woman in August 2016.

Bernie Mena Delbosque, 34, was sentenced Wednesday in Kandiyohi County District Court.

Delbosque received credit for 375 days he served in the Kandiyohi County Jail while several cases worked through the court system. State law also gives inmates one day off their sentence for two days served, so he will likely serve about two-thirds of his sentence.

Last month, he had pleaded guilty to two felony counts — domestic assault by strangulation and first-degree assault. Ten other felony counts were dismissed, including several counts each of criminal sexual conduct, assault, and domestic assault. He had also been charged with making terroristic threats.

On the assault charge, Delbosque was sentenced to 168 months, or 14 years, on the first-degree assault charge and 24 months in prison on the domestic assault by strangulation charge.

Delbosque was sentenced on two other felony cases at the same hearing Wednesday. In a March 2016 case, he was sentenced to 15 months on a charge of making threats of violence and 12 months on a domestic assault by strangulation charge.

In a July 2016 case, he was sentenced to 18 months for making threats of violence and 21 months for domestic assault by strangulation.

All of the prison sentences will be served concurrently, or at the same time.

Fees and fines are to be paid consecutively from his prison earnings, a total of $570 in fines and court fees to pay.

According to court files, Delbosque became angry at a woman because she had had a male friend at her apartment.

The woman told authorities he choked her at least five times until she couldn't breathe. He took her to his apartment and choked her again while asking questions about the male friend.

She said he choked her with a belt while standing on her shoulders and told her it was "only going to get worse."

She told police that he then raped her and threatened to kill her. He took a baseball bat, held her against a wall, hit her in the face and kicked her in the stomach. The woman said she feared for her life.

She was able to escape after she told him she needed to go home for medication. He accompanied her, but she was able to run to an apartment building security guard, who called 911 and had the woman stay in his car.

The security guard told police he had seen Delbosque in the parking lot with the baseball bat.

Police arrested Delbosque at a friend's apartment.

Linda Vanderwerf

I cover education issues for the West Central Tribune and have worked for the paper since 1995. I have worked in journalism since 1981.

Follow me on Twitter: @lindavanderwerf

(320) 214-4340