Weather Forecast


19-year-old Willmar, Minn., man sentenced to more than 6 years in prison

WILLMAR — Andrew Charles Wyman, 19, of Willmar, is going to prison for 75 months on the first-degree arson charge originally filed against him in May 2011 for setting fire to an occupied Willmar residence.

During a hearing Monday, Wyman’s previously stayed prison sentence was executed.

A felony theft charge, filed last month for allegedly stealing more than $2,200 from his employer, however, was dismissed. The hearing in Kandiyohi County District Court was before District Judge Michael J. Thompson.

In addition to the agreement to dismiss the theft charge if the prison sentence was executed, Wyman waived his right to any further portion of the extended juvenile jurisdiction process, according to County Attorney Jenna Fischer.

Wyman was charged as a juvenile for his role in the two-week crime spree of stealing and destroying vehicles that culminated with setting fire to the home May 3, 2011. Under the extended juvenile jurisdiction program, Wyman was sentenced in September 2011 to a juvenile sentence — essentially time at Prairie Lakes Youth Programs — and the stayed adult sentence of 75 months in prison, which would be executed if he failed to comply with the adult sentence.

Wyman’s accomplice, Chase John Hodapp, 21, of Willmar, was sentenced, as an adult, to 39 months in prison in the case. According to the State Department of Corrections website, Hodapp is at the Minnesota Corrections Facility at Stillwater. His expected release date from prison is July 3, and his release date from supervision is Aug. 2, 2014. Both were ordered to pay thousands in restitution.

Wyman absconded from Prairie Lakes in February 2012 and was taken into custody six weeks later by CEE-VI Drug Task Force agents. He admitted during an April 23, 2012, hearing that he and his roommate absconded from Prairie Lakes and then he hitchhiked to California. He lived there for a month before calling his mother, who provided a bus ticket and cash to return home. Wyman said he then stayed at his father’s home until he was arrested.

Wyman said during that hearing that he ran from Prairie Lakes because he was going to be penalized for small infractions and assumed he would be sent to prison. The teen read a statement to the judge and cried as he said that he was scared and would do anything to not go to prison. Judge Smith ordered him to return to Prairie Lakes and complete the programs in both the secure and non-secure units of the center.

Wyman was ordered back into the secure unit of the center in early December, when officials discovered he was breaking program rules. Soon after, he was charged with allegedly taking $2,293 from Mr. B Chocolatier over the course of a week in November. Officials at the business reported to Willmar police Dec. 6 that they suspected Wyman, who started working at the chocolate shop Nov. 1.

The investigation revealed Wyman had purchased several items, including a four-wheeler, a jacket and a helmet, claiming he got the money for the ATV by selling drugs with Hodapp. He claimed the money was hidden under the rocks near the bridge along 19th Avenue near Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Gretchen Schlosser

Gretchen Schlosser is the public safety reporter, and writes about agriculture occasionally, for the West Central Tribune. She's been with the Tribune since 2006 and has 17 years of experience working in news, media and communications. 

(320) 214-4373