Weather Forecast


Jurors in Timothy Huber murder trial see video of Delbert Huber interview

WILLMAR — Jurors in the first-degree murder trial of Timothy Huber heard testimony this morning from Kandiyohi County Sheriff’s Office detectives and viewed a video recording of Delbert Huber’s initial interview with law enforcement officers.

 The video was shown of Delbert Huber’s interview with Sheriff’s Detective Eric Tollefson and state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension Special Agent Nathaniel Brovold. Tollefson’s testimony continues this afternoon in the trial before District Judge Donald M. Spilseth.

Timothy Huber, 47, of rural Paynesville, is standing trial on first- and second-degree murder charges in the case. He and his father, Delbert Huber, were indicted on the charges for killing Larson, 43, on Oct. 8, 2011, after a confrontation over allegedly stolen money and tractor parts and alleged vandalism of the Huber’s farm tractors. Delbert Huber, 82, is already serving the maximum sentence of 367 months in prison for second-degree murder, to which he pleaded guilty in August.

During the interview, the elder Huber tells the officers that he did not talk with Timothy Larson when Larson told Timothy Huber to get the Hubers’ farm equipment off Larson’s father’s farm place. However, Huber said he knew Larson and his friends were “going to do us in” on Saturday morning, so Huber took his gun along because “I wanted to be ready when they started shooting at me.”

The elder Huber said he was “absolutely” angry about allegedly missing money from his son’s wallet and missing tractor parts when he confronted Larson.

When asked if Larson saw the gun before Huber shot him, Huber responded “oh, yeah.”

Tollefson testified that officers served a search warrant on the Huber property early in the morning on the day after the murder and found the British 303 rifle in very well-oiled condition.

“It appeared to be just recently cleaned and oiled,” said Tollefson, under questioning by County Attorney Jenna Fischer. The detective noted that his hands became oily from touching the weapon. Officers did not find ammunition or a magazine for the rifle at the residence.

Also admitted into evidence today were photographs of Delbert Huber’s car, which his son used to drive his father to the Larson place before the shooting death, and photos of the tractors the Hubers moved off the Larson place. The photos show that the lights were working on one of the tractors and that the oil levels were within the acceptable range on the dipstick from each machine. The Hubers had alleged that Larson had turned the lights on on one of the tractors and put coolant or some other substance in the oil reserves of the tractors.

Gretchen Schlosser

Gretchen Schlosser is the public safety reporter, and writes about agriculture occasionally, for the West Central Tribune. She's been with the Tribune since 2006 and has 17 years of experience working in news, media and communications. 

(320) 214-4373