Weather moving across region could produce icy mix of rain and snow; up to six inches of snow possible
WILLMAR -- West central Minnesota is in store for a batch of snowy and icy weather the next couple days.
A winter storm watch went into effect at 6 p.m. Friday and continues through today.
By the time the system leaves the area Sunday night up to 6 inches of snow may have accumulated in some parts of the region.
"It'll be heart attack snow," said Tony Zaleski, forecaster with the National Weather Service in Chanhassen.
Freezing rain is forecast this morning with a combination of rain and snow continuing in the afternoon. Up to two inches of snow is possible.
Because temperatures will be in the 30s, ice shouldn't cause problems for power lines, Zaleski said.
State and county highway departments spent Friday sanding roads in an effort to reduce slippery conditions. Crews were still out Friday night. There's a 70 percent chance of more snow and rain tonight.
Snow will continue Sunday with an additional inch of snow expected. The high temperature on Sunday will be around 30 and winds will switch to the northwest at 10 mph.
Sunday night will be colder, with a low around 15, and a 60 percent chance of more snow. A snowy, and colder weather pattern could even extend to Monday when temperatures could reach a high of 20 and a 40 percent chance of snow is predicted.