Weather Forecast


Updated: Paynesville Area High School releasing students, air quality issues cited

A hazardous materials response crew from the St. Cloud Fire Department is at the Paynesville Area Secondary School. Students in grades 6-12 were released after suspected carbon monoxide exposure. (Tribune photo by Gary Miller)1 / 3
Firetrucks and ambulances responded Monday night to Paynesville Area High School in Paynesville, Minn., when several individuals reported getting ill. Photo by Alexis Johnson via Twitter. 2 / 3
Ambulances lined up outside Paynesville Area High School Tuesday morning because of air quality issues, suspected of being carbon monoxide exposure. Photo by Ashton_ashie via Iinstagram.3 / 3 Storify link, with reactions from students on social media (click to view): Paynesville High School evacuated, possible carbon monoxide exposure

PAYNESVILLE — Students in grades 6 to 12 at Paynesville Area Secondary School were released from school at 11 a.m. today because of air quality issues, suspected of being carbon monoxide exposure.

Students in grades kindergarten to grade 5 will remain in session, according to the district website.

According to student postings on Twitter, people were fainting at a choir concert Monday evening, and a fire truck and ambulances were at the school then.

This morning, students tweeted that they didn’t feel well and that people were fainting. In addition to Paynesville emergency responders, crews from the Willmar Ambulance Service as well as ambulances from New London, Brooten and Melrose were sent for mutual aid assistance.